Show Us Your Best Dinosaur Tooth!

Paleoworld-101

I love the Acheroraptor!

So hard to get rooted dino teeth these days.

Wait until you see what I post in the next day or two ;)

Roughly 16mm and its from the Hell Creek Formation in Montana.

Ah I've seen it before. John H. had it at Tucson. It's nice addition to your collection.

Ah I've seen it before. John H. had it at Tucson. It's nice addition to your collection.

Yessir, you are correct! I just got some other very interesting stuff from him. I have something very special that should be arriving tomorrow in the mail :)

I've been buying from him for years. He always has neat items and is a great guy. He used to come out with a catalogue once a year and was obsolete almost instantly. Then came the internet!

I have bought from him for awhile as well. He's good at sourcing out specialty fossils and is very responsive.

Well here's my newest addition:

Acheroraptor fully rooted tooth!image_zpspl8xusq0.jpgimage_zpscvk87n3p.jpg

The second picture you can see where the next tooth was forming.

I guess I'll add the Allosaurus tooth I dug up myself:image_zpspeepglw5.jpg

Awesome teeth! Especially like that acheroraptor tooth, that is outstanding.

Awesome teeth! Especially like that acheroraptor tooth, that is outstanding.

Thank you very much but it seems I beat myself out for a new best today!

Rooted Allosaurus tooth from the dig I was on:

image_zpsglkdrtxg.jpg

image_zps8rxdc9ax.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome find congratulations. What locality and size of tooth.

Edit: what makes you call this tooth Allosaurus?

Hey on that Acheroraptor tooth do you see any vertical ridges on the crown?

Edited by Troodon

Thank you very much but it seems I beat myself out for a new best today!

Rooted Allosaurus tooth from the dig I was on:

This takes the cake!

It looks like it came from a juvenile?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Awesome find congratulations. What locality and size of tooth.

Edit: what makes you call this tooth Allosaurus?

Hey on that Acheroraptor tooth do you see any vertical ridges on the crown?

Thank you very much. We know it's Allosaurus because the shape of the tooth and shape of the serrations plus most all the theropod material out of this dig site has been Allosaurus. Also Bob Simon and Don Pfister at PaleoGallery, and Henry all said its Allosaurus. It actually came out of their site and we were all present when it was found by Bob and Henry identified and prepped it out that nite. Can't get much better than that! :) The tooth came out of the Morrison Formation in Shell, Wyoming measuring at 2.15"

Let me look more closely at the Acheroraptor tooth. We looked for those ridges and they are only slightly visible on one side but even then, they are very faint or we're just seeing them because we want to. I'll take some pics and post them.

So here's the pics I took and as you can see I'm not a professional photographer but you can easily see no ridges. Henry had doubts about it being Acheroraptor. He doesn't believe there is only one Dromaeosaurid out of the Hell Creek. He has Dromy teeth that are not Acheroraptor and that he believes proves that.

image_zps5g9u9vfl.jpg

image_zpsffj1yfzp.jpg

This takes the cake!

It looks like it came from a juvenile?

Thank you as well. Definitely one my favorites in my collection and I'm not even a tooth guy!! Haha Edited by TheClawGuy
  • I found this Informative 1

I agree, if Bob called it should not be questioned. I could not see any serrations in the photo you posted, why I asked. Again nice find.

Back on the other tooth. I also don't think it's Acheroraptor why I asked you about the ridges. Those teeth are "very compressed" with "ridges" this one does not have either those characteristics. One characteristic that I've never mentioned and unique to Acheroraptor is that the gumline is inclined at an angle of roughly 45° from a horizontal line drawn through the base, this one appears to have that. I've always said in my posts isolated teeth are very hard to ID and this one is no different.

When the study was conducted that described this raptor they found teeth without ridges and concluded that they were positional since the holotype only had 6 teeth, all uppers and nothing in the lower, may be the wrong assumption.

I'm also seeing dromaeosaurid teeth that are not compressed without ridges and now hearing about a new big raptor that is near to being described with very big claws. Nothing remains fixed when it comes to understanding dinosaurs, there is still lots to be learned and need to keep an open mind.

Having said all that I'm leaning toward your tooth not being either one and an adult size. Everything is too well formed but I'm not an expert!. There are microraptors that have not been described from the Hell Creek and possibly very small Dromaeosaurids. My money puts your tooth in one of those critters. By the way another possibility as I'm thinking about this is that John had the wrong locality, you may want to ask him to double check.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's more photos of my Alioramus altai tooth. It's 2.66 inches long.

post-4888-0-80583500-1443975350_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-35179500-1443975357_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-67682700-1443975365_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-26720200-1443975370_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Andy-
  • I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Found this tooth back in the late 1970's in Argentina. Serrations are more 'fringy' than other theropod teeth I have found. Look almost like millimeter divisions on a ruler. Pristine and not worn but serrations 'subdued', as on a file. Perhaps this beastie was more of a gnawer of bones. I have it labeled 'Chubutusaurus' from someone leading our group and identifying it at the time. Area was a remote mishmash of formations not yet aged but probably mid Cretaceous. Never have been back but must still be huge areas to explore. Tooth now 'x' number of years old plus 39.

Not really my area of expertise so back in the box it goes. Not my best tooth but one of the quirky ones.

post-19254-0-49630300-1443980653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 2

Here's more photos of my Alioramus altai tooth. It's 2.66 inches long.

attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg attachicon.gif4b.jpg

Interesting tooth positioned as it is in the jaw. Thanks for the additional photos. You rarely see them like that.

Found this tooth back in the late 1970's in Argentina. Serrations are more 'fringy' than other theropod teeth I have found. Look almost like millimeter divisions on a ruler. Pristine and not worn but serrations 'subdued', as on a file. Perhaps this beastie was more of a gnawer of bones. I have it labeled 'Chubutusaurus' from someone leading our group and identifying it at the time. Area was a remote mishmash of formations not yet aged but probably mid Cretaceous. Never have been back but must still be huge areas to explore. Tooth now 'x' number of years old plus 39.

Not really my area of expertise so back in the box it goes. Not my best tooth but one of the quirky ones.

Super nice tooth from very a cool locality and a great find. How big is it? Not sure about the ID they gave you. Chubutusaurus, I believe is a titanosaur.

Super nice tooth from very a cool locality and a great find. How big is it? Not sure about the ID they gave you. Chubutusaurus, I believe is a titanosaur.

Could be. I've no knowledge of any Dino's from the area. Back then all was a new page on vertebrates where we were. I'd like to turn the clock back and roam the area with my collecting skills now. I wonder what I missed in the older days by not knowing where to look.

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice tooth! Not only rare but in beautiful condition! Not a lot of Argentinian teeth around. I would say you have an Abelisaurid tooth. Maybe Abelisaurus, Carnotaurus?

Just curious but what formation were you digging in when you found this tooth?

I don't know if it's my best but it's one of my favorites. It's a fully rooted Pachycephalosaur fang tooth. The only one I've ever seen.

post-13649-0-56857300-1444591519_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I don't know if it's my best but it's one of my favorites. It's a fully rooted Pachycephalosaur fang tooth. The only one I've ever seen.

That's a nice tooth. Did you purchase it or was it a self find?