Small Mammal Foot Bone

Shellseeker

Here is a bone, that seems to be fossil, found in Pleistocene era deposits, seems to be mammal, seems to be associated with the foot, and measures 30 millimeters.

Is there a source that for example would connect foot bone size (or any other bone size) to a list of possible candidate mammals ? Maybe not, so when I search the net for bovine or pig foot bones, I do not find a similar bone. Making me think it is different from one of those animals.

It occurs to me that this could be a juve and an adult could have a much larger bone, but I still do not think that a newborn horse or calf has a foot bone this size. I am thinking dog, raccoon, bobcat size.

post-2220-0-40724300-1306531769_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-62969800-1306531778_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

think predator, not prey. it is not from an artiodactyl or perissodactyl.

WTG! ;)

post-423-0-97193500-1306537236_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW, WOW, and WOW. :P :P :P :P

Here I was thinking almost a throwaway bone, and it turns out to maybe REALLY special!!! I could not be happier. Can you tell that I have never found any bones from a large feline predator previously. :D Just reinforces -- never, never, never throw away an unknown fossil -- it just might be a keeper.

The value of TFF grows and grows for me over time. The fact that all 3 of you nailed this so quickly is almost like magic. I know, I know, the magic of experience. Thanks.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Congratulations on your spectacular fossil find. B)

Smilin' for Smilodon- must be a very happy day! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Oh.... I know nothing of this material- just going from the previous comment of feline predator and Smilodon link.

Eagle still sounds like a rare fossil? :)

Looks bird to me also but would like to see some more pic angles though. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Oh.... I know nothing of this material- just going from the previous comment of feline predator and Smilodon link.

Eagle still sounds like a rare fossil? :)

Yes, eagle phalanges are quite uncommon. Auspex posted a nice eagle phalanx/claw core pair that I found.

Thanks for the information- you can well imagine my frustration, though I try! :wacko:

I'd like to think one day it might sink in- I enjoy learning from the pros here! ;)

Hey, I can be just as pleased with EAGLE -- I have not found any of those yet, either!!! Wish the claw was attached :P

Worthy, Here are the rest of the pics I already took -- Tell me the angle and I will take the shot.

post-2220-0-96927100-1306550063_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-36749900-1306550072_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-70750000-1306550085_thumb.jpg

Hey, I can be just as pleased with EAGLE -- I have not found any of those yet, either!!! Wish the claw was attached :P

Worthy, Here are the rest of the pics I already took -- Tell me the angle and I will take the shot.

Ok, here are some to look at but not from an Eagle. B)B)B):)

post-23-0-49486300-1306550547_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-96499700-1306550599_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-37910600-1306550625_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-37619800-1306551041_thumb.jpg

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

i personally would be very happy with having found that fossil.

I agree Tracer. I AM very happy. Each fossil is an adventure and carries a story. I have been exceedingly lucky lately.

No more posts tonight. I must get some sleep. 5 am is coming and there is a special fossil waiting somewhere in the Peace.

I don't know 30mm is pretty good size. Here some eagle toes from LaBrea and a smilodon toe.

5/8" compared to 1 1/4"

post-5767-0-76567500-1306551620_thumb.jpg

post-5767-0-98338200-1306551820_thumb.jpg

Edited by twisteddendrite

WOW, WOW, and WOW. :P :P :P :P

Here I was thinking almost a throwaway bone, and it turns out to maybe REALLY special!!! I could not be happier. Can you tell that I have never found any bones from a large feline predator previously....

Oh, man, I'm sorry I didn't elaborate! :blush:

Now you'll be all disappointed 'cause it's just a nice Pleistocene Bald Eagle phalanx. :(

I thought the thumbnail I grabbed was labeled...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Oh, man, I'm sorry I didn't elaborate! :blush:

Now you'll be all disappointed 'cause it's just a nice Pleistocene Bald Eagle phalanx. :( I thought the thumbnail I grabbed was labeled...

I am very pleased to have a nice Pleistocene Bald Eagle phalanx. It seems rare and now I have an eagle fossil :D

I have plenty of time to add a Smilodon fossil to my growing collection. I was at the Peace today with a friend; I feel lucky just to be there standing in the river in the sunshine. More great finds - a very striking Glyptodont Osteoderm, a large perfect gator tooth and a couple of Megs. :)

I am blessed with the quality and number of my finds, and I do not yearn for those fossils (Like Smilodon) which I have not found -- YET.

Thanks for the photo of the Phalanx and Claw core.

Twisteddendrite,

Thanks for the photos. That Smilodon toe bone does look like other labelled specimens I've seen. They are around that size and width.

Yeah, I thought it was big for an eagle too but I once saw a claw (Maricopa tar pit) that was just under 2 inches (approx. 5cm) long measured across the longest dimension.

I wonder what would be considered an unusually large eagle toe bone?

I don't know 30mm is pretty good size. Here some eagle toes from LaBrea and a smilodon toe.

5/8" compared to 1 1/4"

A local fossil friend of mine commented that the bone is certainly from a large raptor, but might be from hawk, osprey, condor, or eagle.

I do not know how I could differentiate one from the other. Would have to come from a side by side comparison from someone like Twisteddendrite, who has a neat collection.

SS

Maybe, but then again, you got the eagle iD from some extremely experienced members here. And the phalange is about as robust as I can imagine it being from a bird so...

...I wonder what would be considered an unusually large eagle toe bone?

Biggest Golden Eagle I ever saw:

post-423-0-02449100-1306758247_thumb.jpg

Biggest Golden Eagle I ever saw:

post-423-0-02449100-1306758247_thumb.jpg

WOW -- The phalanx is under the gold skin? Hopefully you are holding on tight because the eagle is still alive and could do some damage with those claws.

Just browsing today and found an Eagle Phalanx for sale on eBay..

EaglePhalanxLink

Good to know that it is rare enough to be worth something, AND I get some additional photos to validate the TFF identification :)

Just browsing today and found an Eagle Phalanx for sale on eBay..

EaglePhalanxLink

Good to know that it is rare enough to be worth something, AND I get some additional photos to validate the TFF identification :)

I think this one is likely from a Golden Eagle.