Ray Dermal Denticle

danielp

Here is a ray dermal denticle. Any info on the id would be great. It is maastrichan in age. It has the same shape as the rhombodus denticles but I can't find any of them that have the "knobby" apperance of this one.

post-1942-0-46198200-1306804098_thumb.jpg

post-1942-0-93314500-1306804237_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a dermal that looks like that.. Really cool.. almost looks like

small mouth plate teeth. I just don't know.. Cannot wait to hear..

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen anything like that in the late Cretaceous before...cool find!

Daniel, I moved this topic to the ID forum, so you don't have to keep up with duplicate topics. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow. I am envious -- that is one neat fossil. Congrats!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That looks even better all cleaned up!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I haven't seen anything like that in the late Cretaceous before...cool find!

Daniel, I moved this topic to the ID forum, so you don't have to keep up with duplicate topics. :)

Thank you. Having my internet down makes it difficult to get things posted.

I saw this on my phone and was like wow! I was in an area where cell phone service was limited so when I came home I was trying to figure out what happened to it...(hint, John! B)).

All I can say is WOW too, that is too darn cool! Love it, definitely a display case piece!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I've only found one ray dermal denticle in the Maastrichtian of Texas, much smaller than yours and not nearly as intricate. It looks quite similar to those found in Florida, only smaller, with one point in the center surrounded by grooves or troughs emanating from the center. I'm assuming mine is Rhombodus binkhorsti based on the preponderance of teeth from the same. Great find!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's a beauty, and a hugey. Here is one form the late Cretaceous Lance Fm of Wyoming... This one is two mm high. Photo is side view. Note the grooves rather than polka dots.

post-1450-0-09269900-1306818677_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Daniel, I have never seen a ray or shark dermal denticle wich looks like your fossil. Surprising.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here is a ray dermal denticle. Any info on the id would be great. It is maastrichan in age. It has the same shape as the rhombodus denticles but I can't find any of them that have the "knobby" apperance of this one.

Wow!!!That is a super nice find, haven't seen anything like that from the Cretaceous before, very interesting--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This web site identifies a similar denticle as Brachyrhizodus:

http://njfossils.net/shark.html

I have my doubts about that identification. In North Carolina we find similar denticles in mixed Campanian/Maastrichtian deposits. I have also found one in Maastrichtian Peedee Formation that lacks Brachyrhizodus teeth. I'll post a photo when I get the chance.

Here's a similar looking denticle from North Carolina. They aren't common but I've managed to find a couple whole ones and many pieces from different localities.

post-2301-0-26299500-1306873539_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I find similar dermal scutes at Point A Dam in Alabama. They are Eocene in age but may be related for sure.

These are slightly different than the Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis mid-dorsal denticles. Brachyrhizodus denticles are more flattened and have a fin-shaped "crown" projection. These 2 denticles are more dome-shaped. I believe this denticle from NJ might be the same as daniel's, note the grooves. It has been suggested that the tiny dots fall off easily and this may be the case with my specimen. Exactly what these denticles are from is a mystery. Both beautiful specimens guys!

This web site identifies a similar denticle as Brachyrhizodus:

http://njfossils.net/shark.html

I have my doubts about that identification. In North Carolina we find similar denticles in mixed Campanian/Maastrichtian deposits. I have also found one in Maastrichtian Peedee Formation that lacks Brachyrhizodus teeth. I'll post a photo when I get the chance.

post-382-0-82884100-1306888186_thumb.jpg

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Here are some Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis mid-dorsal denticles from the middle late Campanian Wenonah fm. of NJ. I have seen the unornamented ones referred to another myliobatoid ray, Rhombodus laevis, but it has been suggested that the tiny crown surrounding enamel denticle dots may simply fall off easily, making all of them Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis. Other authors including Cappetta & Case (1975) have instead tentatively referred the ornamented type to Rhombodus laevis, so there obviously is some confusion. I think the majority opinion now is that at least the ornamented type, if not both types, belong to Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis.

Cappetta, H. & Case, G., 1975. Contribution à l'étude des sélaciens du groupe Monmouth (Campanien - Maestrichtian) du New Jersey. Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 151:1-46.

post-382-0-27165300-1306975119_thumb.jpg

I am taking an inordinate amount of pleasure from this thread; such simple little things to harbor such mystery! Thanks everyone!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks non-remanié for your pics. We are able to see very well that they are indeed about dermal denticles. They are incredibles !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here are some Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis mid-dorsal denticles from the middle late Campanian Wenonah fm. of NJ.

Those are some very nice denticles.

Here is a website that shows a similar denticle from the Eocene:

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/Misc/Unidentified-Other/tabid/53/Fossils/1734/Default.aspx

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the denticles Lonewuff finds at Point A Dam. Are they similar to the one on Black River Fossils website?

If I remember correctly, I think Case believes Brachyrhizodus is an ancestor to the myliobatoids.

I wonder if these Maastichtian and Eocene denticles could be a type of cownosed ray denticle?

DW's scute is amazing. I have never seen one like that from the tertiary. I suspect the Point-A-Dam denticles might actually be the dermal armor plates of the teleost Ostracion sp, which look a lot like these Maastrichtian batoid mid-dorsal denticles and are known from the Paleocene and Eocene of the ACP and Gulf Coast. These Maastrichtian denticles could be Rhombodus binkhorsti or some other primitive myliobatoid. Myliobatis sp. does come about by the mid-Maastrichtian as well.

Those are some very nice denticles.

Here is a website that shows a similar denticle from the Eocene:

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/Misc/Unidentified-Other/tabid/53/Fossils/1734/Default.aspx

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the denticles Lonewuff finds at Point A Dam. Are they similar to the one on Black River Fossils website?

If I remember correctly, I think Case believes Brachyrhizodus is an ancestor to the myliobatoids.

I wonder if these Maastichtian and Eocene denticles could be a type of cownosed ray denticle?