Spine-Like Fossil In Niagara Gorge

JvJ

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'd like an ID on a fossil I found while hiking near the whirlpool of the Niagara River. It was on a loose piece of rock (i.e. not still attached to the cliff or anything) near the bottom of the gorge.

I don't know too much about the geology of the region, but I know that the lower part of the niagara river is only about 12,000 years old. I suspect that this fossil was somewhere in the rock carved out by the falls, so I have no idea what its original depth was.

I didn't have much with me at the time I took the photo. The best I could come up with to show the scale was my shoe (size 9). There is a difference in colour between the 2 images, and that's because the rock got wet.

Thanks to whoever helps me identify this!

post-5903-0-88019400-1306873741_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-13668800-1306873765_thumb.jpg

That is a great big cephalopod (like a straight shelled nautilus); it is probably over 400 million years old. Nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's amazing! Are fossils like this common, or is it worth trying to do something with it? It's fairly open and exposed, and seems to have been for some time.

"Common" is a relative thing.

They are "common" to some areas.

I'd sure like to have one like that in my collection. It is a monster. (Possibly Dawsonoceras or Spyroceras).

That being said - it depends on whose property it is on. You can try to find that out, and ask for permission to collect.

Or just keep the photo. :) That way, others can enjoy it as well.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A diorama portraying the seas of the Ordovician Period (from the Exhibit Museum, University of Michigan):

post-423-0-44540700-1306876024_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Be careful your not in the parks along the sides of the gorge. You can't collect any fossils in them! Otherwise that is a spectacular Cephalopod. Considering the age of the rocks around the gorge, I'd vote on Dawsonoceras.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi there!

I'm from eastern Ontario, and am fairly familiar with the geology of southern ontario too...

It is definatly a Cephalopod (As the others have said)

In the Niagra region, you will have Some Ordovician, Devonian, and I beleive some Silurian.

These are all time periods. the 3, ranging from about 400 million years - 300 million years..

Very cool find! :D

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

cool fossil. i'd leave it there as part of your field collection so others can look at it too.

Great find! But correct, if its a state park, you had best leave it be and just keep the picture!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Nice fossil! Cephalopod it is... My understanding from an email today from NPGS field trip director that the Niagara Gorge Silurian to Ordovician ( red shale) is a protected area hence no fossil collecting... the local fossil mineral club NPGS does not even plan trips to the gorge because collecting is off limits.... a real shame as there are thousands of fossils to be had but the area is under management of Parks Canada.... I work in Niagara Falls and don't even bother looking for fossils in the gorge cause they are protected... don't fancy fines and jail time....

PL

Nice fossil! Cephalopod it is... My understanding from an email today from NPGS field trip director that the Niagara Gorge Silurian to Ordovician ( red shale) is a protected area hence no fossil collecting... the local fossil mineral club NPGS does not even plan trips to the gorge because collecting is off limits.... a real shame as there are thousands of fossils to be had but the area is under management of Parks Canada.... I work in Niagara Falls and don't even bother looking for fossils in the gorge cause they are protected... don't fancy fines and jail time....

PL

Just spinning off your thoughts.... how about taking an impression or maybe even a rubbing of the fossil? Do you think that would be a violation of any laws your aware of? Think it would be really cool for the OP to have a "copy" of it to display in his home.

Mark

A few thoughts... I don't know about the legalities of taking a rubbing or impression... just don't do it with plaster. Many a dinos track have been ruined by folks who thought they could pour some plaster on it and collect the plaster impression. Use silicone or latex... a fun adventure if you have never done it before.

Also, just to clarify for JvJ (I'm not saying oyu need the clarification, but just in case)... the Gorge is 12000 yrs old, but it is carved into rocks that are much much older, as others have alluded to. That's to say, about 12K yrs ago, the Niagara River carved into the underlying rocks and made the gorge.

And lastly, as far as I am concerned... that is a wicked cool specimen. But remeber this, at least here in the States, ignorance of thelaw is not a legal excuse to break it: (Using Yogi Bear Voice) "But Mr. Ranger, Sir, I didn't know it was illegal to collect fossils here"

• 2 weeks later...

Just spinning off your thoughts.... how about taking an impression or maybe even a rubbing of the fossil? Do you think that would be a violation of any laws your aware of? Think it would be really cool for the OP to have a "copy" of it to display in his home.

Mark

Rubbings should be fine ... Niagara Parks Commission is aware of the fossil and is in the process of sorting out the logistics of collecting it for their display.....

PL

The Niagara Parks is indeed a protected area and is closed to any collecting of any kind, so any fossil finds are to be left as you found them. If you have found something interesting, you can bring it to the attention of the Niagara Parks and they will see to it that it is recorded and preserved as is.The Niagara Parks is currently trying to set up a geological display of Niagara Region with the help of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society of which I am one of the Field Trip Directors. If you have any further questions regarding this area please feel free in contacting the NPGS and we will be happy to assist you any way we can.

Glenn Sloggett

Niagara Peninsula Geological Society

The Niagara Parks is indeed a protected area and is closed to any collecting of any kind, so any fossil finds are to be left as you found them. If you have found something interesting, you can bring it to the attention of the Niagara Parks and they will see to it that it is recorded and preserved as is.The Niagara Parks is currently trying to set up a geological display of Niagara Region with the help of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society of which I am one of the Field Trip Directors. If you have any further questions regarding this area please feel free in contacting the NPGS and we will be happy to assist you any way we can.

Glenn Sloggett

Niagara Peninsula Geological Society

Well said Glenn!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone knew the location of this fossil. I am writing my dissertation on the Geology of this area and a few photos of this fossil would really help my research.

Any help would be AMAZING!!

Thanks, Cam

I hope the NPC does collect it and any others like it that turn up in future.. Would be a shame for such a thing to be left to the ravages of the elements.

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the location of this fossil. I'd love to take some photographs for my research.

I went into the gorge yesterday at the valley/whirlpool entrance (with the crazy stairs), not the metal staircase.

I walked around the whirlpool to where the gorge starts again (queenston bound, with the river flow) because from the picture It looked like it was on the flat area of rocks.

However, I couldn't see it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

That's a nice orthocone shell! biggrin.gif

It's hard to findone that is that size. I have a bunch, but usually they're just broken segments. sad.gif

Edited by TMNH

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the location of this fossil. I'd love to take some photographs for my research.

I went into the gorge yesterday at the valley/whirlpool entrance (with the crazy stairs), not the metal staircase.

I walked around the whirlpool to where the gorge starts again (queenston bound, with the river flow) because from the picture It looked like it was on the flat area of rocks.

However, I couldn't see it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Let's answer this by private message; there are 30,000 readers a month of this Forum, and keeping the location confidential might help ensure its survival ;)

When I went there two years ago, I saw the very same fossil!

Figures, that means they're in no rush to recover it.

Auspex said: "Let's answer this by private message; there are 30,000 readers a month of this Forum, and keeping the location confidential might help ensure its survival ;) "

Collecting it will ensure its survival (whoever has that authority should do it)... leaving it there won't! -especially after a few more Canadian winters, then NO ONE will see it.

• 9 months later...

I am a brand new member and signed on because I was researching a fossil that I found. It may also be a Cephalopod but I was hoping to hear from other members to confirm. I found this one on the American side of the Whirlpool. It is around 6 inches in length.

post-8288-0-77970100-1332808311_thumb.jpg

Back again. I also found these two fossils. The first looks like a stromatolite but not sure of the second one (circular on bottom right).

post-8288-0-51477500-1332808879_thumb.jpg

post-8288-0-96039600-1332808901_thumb.jpg