Spine-Like Fossil In Niagara Gorge

JvJ

Welcome aboard, and thanks for posting your picture :)

It definitely gets my vote for cephalopod!

EDIT: The other two, I'm not so sure what they are.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Back again. I also found these two fossils. The first looks like a stromatolite but not sure of the second one (circular on bottom right).

Hello Mizek.

The second picture looks to me (although I'm not sure as the pic isn't close enough to see well) like a brachiopod - judging by the outline, looks like some kind of strophomenid Brachiopod, with the rounded part being an internal mold of the inside of the brach. The first one - ? maybe a stromatoporid. Not too sure on that one.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi there!

I'm from eastern Ontario, and am fairly familiar with the geology of southern ontario too...

It is definatly a Cephalopod (As the others have said)

In the Niagra region, you will have Some Ordovician, Devonian, and I beleive some Silurian.

These are all time periods. the 3, ranging from about 400 million years - 300 million years..

Very cool find! biggrin.gif

I too am a Ordovician geek. :). Curiously, around here, the Silurian is missing. Now, there are lots of local uncomformities, but most(geologists anyway) wondered if the area was above wave base??? Construction of a roadway answered the question... a graben was found with Silurian dolostones. So, 420 ma ago, the seas washed this area.

OP, yes orthoconic cephalopods are very common in the early Paleozoic. They were the top predator of the time, and many collections bear witness to the veracity of their appetite. Google "trilobite predation".

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

The first one - ? maybe a stromatoporid.

this

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Another example of a great fossil left to the elements. At lease they last a season or two up there!

In Kansas and Texas, If a vertebrate fossil hits the surface, you have a year or so, at most, to collect it before it disintegrates.

In Montana, you don't even get that. Anything within 18" of the surface is shattered by freeze/thawing.

I hate to see scientist doing their best to destroy scientifically significant fossils. Either collect it and save it for science, or let me have it. There is no point to just letting scientifically important material rot.

Also, given the rate of museums closing, many significant fossils are simply being thrown away.

I have a friend who collected a Kansas mosasaur from the garbage of a closing museum. He is now being harrassed by museums and law enforcement to turn over the fossil. They have even talked jail.

Yet the currator who tossed it, risks nothing.

Don't even get me started on Utah... We are considered lower life forms than murders and rapists.

Of course the Dinosaur National Monument is case in point. Never has such a scientifically significant location been mishandled so badly.

Edited by Boneman007

This might be a good topic for another thread, Boneman, I think we could all share stories of fossil mismanagement, I've got my fair share of them. But on the other hand it just gets me riled up with no way to do anything about it.

This might be a good topic for another thread, Boneman, I think we could all share stories of fossil mismanagement, I've got my fair share of them. But on the other hand it just gets me riled up with no way to do anything about it.

That knife cuts both ways. How many "ne'er do wells" have permanently destroyed the significance of important finds?

I think that avid collectors just cannot abide the thought of a perfectly good fossil "going to waste".

I like to think that, in many cases, "unharvested" fossils are protecting whatever others may lay beneath them, and in the absence of any practicable (and expensive) system for their recovery, this , sadly, is a good use for them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That knife cuts both ways. How many "ne'er do wells" have permanently destroyed the significance of important finds?

True but I think the issue is management vs mismanagement - if the gov't managed the fossils properly, significant fossils would be recovered from parks and other significant finds would not be destroyed by ne'er do wells.

I think that avid collectors just cannot abide the thought of a perfectly good fossil "going to waste".

I like to think that, in many cases, "unharvested" fossils are protecting whatever others may lay beneath them, and in the absence of any practicable (and expensive) system for their recovery, this , sadly, is a good use for them.

You're right, I for one can't abide that. I don't know if I've ever seen a significant fossil, not in my area anyway, laying on top of another one. If so, better to recover them both than just one or neither. If none are recovered, erosion will eventually uncover and destroy them all anyway. If the gov't / Parks officials don't have the manpower/money to do it, then let some of us experienced amateurs do it! There must be a solution - if the amateurs have to be given permits based on their experience, then so be it. The trick is to delegate.

I didn't want to get too deep into this here but the example at the top of my mind is the significant crinoid fauna that is weathering away up in Strathcona Park here on the Island because the authorities will not issue permits for even the pros to go in and recover them, God knows why. There may be more underneath, but what if there aren't? We won't know until these are either recovered or eroded away, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. Some horizons can be very localized. And if Parks' policies can't be changed now, when can they be?

Edited by Wrangellian

The picture on the left looks like a stromatoparoid. Right side ??

Part of the problem is the people who make the laws are politicians, not scientists. But most of the restrictions I've run across are on vertebrate fossils. Not too many people care about invertebrates. Also unfortunately most fossils collected by "scientists" are setting on a shelf in a museum basement.

Speaking of orthocones, I once found a 4 foot on in a boulder the size of a Buick in a creek in Dent,Ohio.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks