Paleo Painting

chele

Okay, I am almost done with the painting. I chose a really cool fish from the Cretaceous. I hope I got it right. Critique away... :unsure:

post-5476-0-97601300-1306904670_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Chele, coming from a fellow artist...you've done a really nice job capturing the subject matter. Love your color choices, balance and unity. Very nice!

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

I am not an artist at all, but I think the picture is very very cool. Nice job!

Nice painting. You did a great job capturing the mostly overwater view, with an underwater view up front. So, is it a North American fish? Xiphactinus? If so, I don't think there are N Am Cret volcanoes, or Monkey Puzzle trees.

On a lighter note, what's that sandpiper doing on top of the tree?

Edited by jpc

Nice painting. You did a great job capturing the mostly overwater view, with an underwater view up front. So, is it a North American fish? If so, I don't thinkn there are N Am Cret volcanoes, or Monkey Puzzle trees.

Hello JPC. I read up on the web somewhere that monkey puzzle trees were in the cretaceous. I just threw in the volcano(it could have happened). The fish is Enchodus.

The sandpiper is part of a large ocean mural I painted on a wall in our basement.

post-5476-0-86047500-1306906677_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Hi Chele,

I think you are a very good artist. I certainly respect that, as my sister is also an artist and art teacher. The extent of my drawing/painting are stick figures!LOL.

Here's a thought, though. I've noticed a lot of the nice fossil wood you've found on previous posts. How about, if feasible, making a frame for your paleo art by cutting and polishing strips of the fossil wood and inlay it into a wooden frame, thus combining your art, lapidary skills, and fossil hobby.

Steve

Hello JPC. I read up on the web somewhere that monkey puzzle trees were in the cretaceous. I just threw in the volcano(it could have happened). The fish is Enchodus.

I KNEW it! :)

Great painting. I've tried some paleoart in paint, but I'm nowhere near as good as that yet ;)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

WOW, great job, and that mural is awesome! How long have you been doing paintings?

WOW, great job, and that mural is awesome! How long have you been doing paintings?

Thank you Prairie Seas. I have been painting since I was a teenager. It is a very relaxing hobby.

Chelebele

I KNEW it! :)

Great painting. I've tried some paleoart in paint, but I'm nowhere near as good as that yet ;)

Thank you Crimson. This is my first try at it. My next one will be an underwater scene with a mosasaur chasing prey. Everything takes time, just do not give up. You will be a great painter!

Chelebele

Hey! I was going to guess Encodus as well. All I read was Cretaceous fish and that immediately came to mind. Its my favorite Cretaceous Fish!

The painting is excellent! My mom and brother are very artistic as well and its always great seeing peoples work, especially on topics that I find interesting.

I like the previously mentioned idea of surrounding it with petrified wood. That might be an interesting idea if you could do it. And if you can, post the results.

Great job Chele, keep it up!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I think you did a wonderful job and I like it. ;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice wall mural, too. I can't tell from the photo, but is the frame painted or is it rock or faux-rock? When I get rich, I'll have you come down to Casper and paint me a scene in my house... (OK, that'll probably never happen, it is meant as a compliment).

Nice wall mural, too. I can't tell from the photo, but is the frame painted or is it rock or faux-rock? When I get rich, I'll have you come down to Casper and paint me a scene in my house... (OK, that'll probably never happen, it is meant as a compliment).

Hello JPC. Thank you for the compliment. The rock is painted. I wanted it to look as if you are looking out of a cave. :D

Chelebele

Beautiful work!

I do a bit of sketching, but it would take patience i do not have to paint that peice of art!! :o

Amazing! :wub:

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Wow! I wish I could paint like that! How much time does it take to paint?

Hello Odin. Thank you, it took me about 2 hours to paint it.

Chelebele

I think you did a wonderful job and I like it. ;)

Thank you Barefootgirl.

Chelebele

Beautiful work!

I do a bit of sketching, but it would take patience i do not have to paint that peice of art!! :o

Amazing! :wub:

Thank you Mr T. I like sketches. Black and white really makes things stand out. I would love to see some sketches.

Chelebele

Beautiful art works. Nice colors, I love so much :) wall murals as I hate metropolitan wall ugly graffiti :(

Hello Mr Nando and thank you! I have not seen any graffiti here in Eastern Montana, but in Boise Idaho it is terrible. Our house has been up for sale for a year now and it has been sitting empty for the same amount of time. We are thinking of moving back to Boise and I am afraid to see if any damage has been done to it. We have neighbors watching it for us but things could still happen. My husband says if he ever caught someone spraying graffiti on our fence or house, he would graffiti his face! ;)

Chelebele

Nice painting. You did a great job capturing the mostly overwater view, with an underwater view up front. So, is it a North American fish? Xiphactinus? If so, I don't think there are N Am Cret volcanoes, or Monkey Puzzle trees.

Oh no we have a Late Cretaceous volcano right here in Austin, TX: Pilot Knob. Small by most standards, but it left it's mark (bentonites and pyroclastic breccia) and there are others all along a curving front running through Texas from NE to SW.

I really like the fish. Not sure if it looks hungry or lonely... Is it an Enchodus?

Nice work Chele! :D

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Can't wait to see the next one! (Hint hint!) ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me