Is This Real Or Fake?

Chrissy

I'm aware that its been carved around the trilobite; it was purchased in Portugal. (not by me) I've been told recently it might be a fake and thought i'd get some other opinions! thanks! :D

post-5915-0-40302200-1306963563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrissy

Psychopyge trilobites from Morocco are one of the more often faked types, and there is so little detail visible on this one that I fear the worst :( .

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm hardly the last word on trilobites; this could be one that was poorly preserved and/or poorly prepared. Wait for one of out trilo experts to weigh in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is either a poorly executed replica or simply poorly preserved. Bet on the latter- I cannot imagine the time or effort required to manufacture it.

Hopefully only a small sum was given for this one. :(

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree... It does look fake..

Sorry :(

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

It practically screams fake.

It's very low on detail, it's pretty much just a black blob. there is no seam between the rock and the "trilobite". There is also an overload of scratches, which is classic in trilobite fakes. There is a hint of bubbles here and there. And the most obvious, you can clearly see the seam between the cast and real rock matrix on the sides of the matrix.

Definitely a fake.

It's a cast of a trilobite placed on a real piece of rock.

Sorry.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I must agree, in fact, it doesn't even look like they used a cast, it's just the general shape of the trilobite Psychopyge...

On the bright side, this is is by far the least recognizable most artistic fake I have seen of this trilobite, ever.

Even among fakes it is unique! ^_^

It is fake and not even good one. :(

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

I must agree, in fact, it doesn't even look like they used a cast, it's just the general shape of the trilobite Psychopyge...

On the bright side, this is is by far the least recognizable most artistic fake I have seen of this trilobite, ever.

Even among fakes it is unique! ^_^

I think 10 dollars is a good price for this piece of art ;) ;) ;) You can always cut in half this bug and show it to the friends ;)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/