And Who Might You Be?

Heroic Mesozoic

After a few trips in NJ with with not many interesting finds, I stumbled on two of these little teeth in a creek. After hours of trying to Identify them I almost wished that I hadn't.:) So my best guess is that they look similar to Capybara teeth? Could that even be possible?

Any help would be great.

post-5882-0-89581900-1306984750_thumb.jpg

post-5882-0-52598300-1306984729_thumb.jpg

You're pretty close at least. They are large rodent teeth, but I am not familiar with the fossil or modern rodents of NJ. Help from NJers?

the "occlusal" (chewing) surface is what is most valuable to see when trying to identify many teeth, so please post a straight-on, clear view of the other ends of the things.

You're pretty close at least. They are large rodent teeth, but I am not familiar with the fossil or modern rodents of NJ. Help from NJers?

Cool! Thank you! That's a good question. I'm going to do some research now.

*The lighter colored one is lighter in weight. When I found these I had never found anything like them so I assumed fossil. Now I'm thinking maybe modern.

the "occlusal" (chewing) surface is what is most valuable to see when trying to identify many teeth, so please post a straight-on, clear view of the other ends of the things.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I took another look at the teeth and i think the second pic is the chewing surface side of the teeth. I will def post more pics soon.

Capybara? Gee, that would be a cool find. I don't see any capybara in there though...

We do get a few beavers (both fossil and modern) in Jersey...perhaps that might be the elusive owner?

I'm not positive though.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

The teeth are way too small for capybara. I would have to agree on rodent teeth.

king of Snarge