Lamna Nasus?

eddie

I found this tooth in Aurora a few years ago, and I threw it in the bag along with the other

sand tiger teeth. A knowledgeable buddy of mine took a look at it, though, and he believes

it's a Lamna nasus. I think he might be correct after looking at elasmo.com, but there's

not a whole lot of other information on this on the web. I couldn't get any decent pics, but

maybe someone can offer a second opinion on this even with the lousy pictures. It's about 5/8" long. Thanks!

Eddie

post-476-1215183320_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183340_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183348_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183353_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183358_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183364_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183373_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215183385_thumb.jpg

Great tooth. I cannot help on the id, though it certainly looks like Lamna nasus, something exceedingly rare at Lee Creek.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Elasmo states that Lamna nasus has a crown which strongly overhangs the root on the labial face. From the pics of yours, that looks to be the case as well. Guess you're going to have to move this one over to the "uncommon teeth" thread. Great find :cool:

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Elasmo states that Lamna nasus has a crown which strongly overhangs the root on the labial face. From the pics of yours, that looks to be the case as well. Guess you're going to have to move this one over to the "uncommon teeth" thread. Great find :cool:

Thanks guys. I was pretty convinced it was a Lamna tooth after looking at elasmo.com, but it's always nice to get more opinions. I'm wondering

if there might be more out there in peoples' collections, mis-identified as sand tigers. :o

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi guys,

Sorry, but I'm not absolutely sure that this tooth are a Lamna nasus, I have a complet set teeth of extant L.nasus, I'll find it and then I'll give you my opinion, or better, I'll take photos and yourself can decide if it is L.nasus.

;)

Eddie: nice tooth you got there!! The elasmo.com reference is based on a single specimen. As a species from LC that does make it very rare ... Lamna nasus is the modern Porbeagle and regardless of the slight offset in tooth characters between the modern and your fossil version it seems clear that it is Lamna nasus. Then there is the Porbeagle's morphological range which could negate any! offset in tooth characters.

MB: nice teeth btw! the first two fossil examples you are showing look more like Lamna ditropis, although a view of the labial side would help that ID :-).

Eddie: nice tooth you got there!! The elasmo.com reference is based on a single specimen. As a species from LC that does make it very rare ... Lamna nasus is the modern Porbeagle and regardless of the slight offset in tooth characters between the modern and your fossil version it seems clear that it is Lamna nasus. Then there is the Porbeagle's morphological range which could negate any! offset in tooth characters.

MB: nice teeth btw! the first two fossil examples you are showing look more like Lamna ditropis, although a view of the labial side would help that ID :-).

Why you are thinking that this one is L.ditropis? my tooth was found in Belgium, the natural kingdom of L.nasus, why must be ditropis which are living exclusively in North Pacific waters?

Definitively NOT L.ditropis :-)

Lamna: yes, Lamna nasus well I think its better to leave it at Lamna sp. We discussed this also on a Dutch/Belgium forum, and I know (at least for the Dutch Lamna teeth) that we keep it Lamna sp. I'm not sure if this also counts for the Belgium ones. And if this is a rare find in the Lee Creek I certainly think it is a little bit to soon to speak about Lamna nasus.

Greetings from Norway,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Lamna: yes, Lamna nasus well I think its better to leave it at Lamna sp. We discussed this also on a Dutch/Belgium forum, and I know (at least for the Dutch Lamna teeth) that we keep it Lamna sp. I'm not sure if this also counts for the Belgium ones. And if this is a rare find in the Lee Creek I certainly think it is a little bit to soon to speak about Lamna nasus.

Greetings from Norway,

Martijn

Thanks for the input. Honestly, I'm not all that concerned whether we call it a Lamna nasus, Lamna xyz or Lamna supercalifrajilisexpialodocius. I really just wanted some more confirmation that it was a Lamna tooth (ie, an unusual

find.) I'll let the scientists figure out and argue about the specific name.

Thanks,

Eddie

Thanks for the input. Honestly, I'm not all that concerned whether we call it a Lamna nasus, Lamna xyz or Lamna supercalifrajilisexpialodocius. I really just wanted some more confirmation that it was a Lamna tooth (ie, an unusual

find.) I'll let the scientists figure out and argue about the specific name.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I totally agree with you there.

I've been trying to find that discussion to state my reply, but for some reason the site has some problems at this moment.

greeting from Norway,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis