What Is This Thing!

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

This is the only thing so far I've found with fossils that I have no idea what it is. I found this piece just out side of the Falls of Ohio no collect zone at a road cut. I also got a bunch of horn coral at this spot.

So here it is...

post-163-1215210929_thumb.jpg

post-163-1215210935_thumb.jpg

post-163-1215210941_thumb.jpg

post-163-1215210950_thumb.jpg

post-163-1215210955_thumb.jpg

post-163-1215210962_thumb.jpg

That's a Hemichaiblurganah weewee. Very rare.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
That's a Hemichaiblurganah weewee. Very rare.

No that's one of Cris' finds... only found in FL. :D:P

It looks a bit (hard to tell from the photo, tho) like the anthozoans we can find in some of the PA Devonian sites.. I would guess, pending better photos, a colonial coral such as a Pleurodictyum? I have found colonial corals alongside horn corals before. But I'm not as good at ID'ing from photos as the rest of the folks here...I'm just trying to be brave and take a guess :P I haven't checked a map...what "age" were you in? I have attached a photo of a Pleurodictyum (not sure I spelled that right)...is it similar at all to this?

post-426-1215216319_thumb.jpg

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

It is it similar at all to this?

The texture of Nicholas' mystery stone is a lot more irregular than that. I'm not even sure it's organic...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The texture of Nicholas' mystery stone is a lot more irregular than that. I'm not even sure it's organic...

LOL, well Lord knows I have plenty of those too...my son's collection of "really cool rocks that look like fossils but are not" is taking over my shed...maybe I will start a rock garden. Then someday a thousand years from now someone can dig them up and try to figure out what they are. :D

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Guest Nicholas

It is labeled currently as "interesting rock", I don't really think it is a fossil. On the off chance it is I thought I would ID.

No that's one of Cris' finds... only found in FL. :D:P

bwahahaha good times good times! :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest solius symbiosus

It looks like a section of the wall of a horn coral. Something like Heliophyllum, or that really large one(sorry, can't recall the name).