Semionotus Fish Acid Preparation

phytosaur

I have a partialy exposed section of an articulated semionotus from the feltville formation of the triassic newark basin. I have tried to reveal the rest of the fish with dental tools, but it is too fragile. I know that it is in bitumenous limestone, and wonder if i can use acetic acid to prepare it.

post-5286-0-41147900-1307151471_thumb.png

post-5286-0-57074900-1307151652_thumb.png

Hey Phytosaur,

Cool find. - Looks like the stuff I find.

I have heard of acid prep for these fish, but am not familiar with the technique.

I am going to be trying air abrasives soon - with baking soda, as that is what I was told works best for this type of fossilization.

Hope that helps - if not you could PM FF member PaleoJohn -

See this link.

Scroll down to where we talk about prepping.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice find Ben. Send "Fossilnoggin" a PM and ask him. I hunted that area with him earlier this year. He seems to know alot about those specimens and knows a guy up there, Steve, that does alot of fishy work. They may be able to help.

This is quite an intrigueing topic seeing as when properly used, acids and such items as alkali I have heard of can be very useful in preparation. I have seen results of such presumed preparations and they can outmatch the more crude yet often very effective sandblasting.

I have heard American preparators have used Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) solutions to prepare even the famous Chinese Keichousaurus fossils, with good results. Who exactly did this, I do not know, though. :(

I hope someone with more practical knowledge on this topic will be able to share it with you. If anywhere, you should be able to find an expert on this forum.

Good luck!

I have had fairly good results using acid on invertebrates, mostly crinoids. The specimens are silicified and the acid doesn't harm them. I use scetic acid (actually vinegar in many instances which is only about 5% acid), and dental tools with magnification. I use a fine eye dropper to place a little acid along the fossil/matrix seam, then let it sit a bit, and break it up with a dental pick. The results can be quite good. Attached is a crinoid that I have done.

Brent Ashcraft

post-120-0-56103700-1307193421_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks for the help, i don't have a sandblaster, so i will start with the acid.

If you have any scraps from the same site, I would recommend practicing on them rather than learning a new technique on your best fossil.

Keep us informed Ben. Several of us hunt this stuff and a good prep technique would be great to know.

I have had fairly good results using acid on invertebrates, mostly crinoids. The specimens are silicified and the acid doesn't harm them. I use scetic acid (actually vinegar in many instances which is only about 5% acid), and dental tools with magnification. I use a fine eye dropper to place a little acid along the fossil/matrix seam, then let it sit a bit, and break it up with a dental pick. The results can be quite good. Attached is a crinoid that I have done.

Brent Ashcraft

Wow, nice piece, the detail is awesome.

• 2 months later...

Hello Phytosaur,

A proven method to expose your Seminotid would be to use a Dremel Tool with a small abrasive grindstone as your tool. Remove the layer covering the fossil . . . just enough to expose the carbon remains. Then use a pencil etching tool to remove as much of the sediment between the exposed portions of the fish that you can.

Be careful not to chip away the carbon remnants.

When that labor-intense preparation is completed to your liking, immerse the entire slab in a Muriatic Acid bath . . . full strenhgth for about 3-4 hours. Be cautious with the acid. Use it outside. READ ALL PRECAUTIONS on the acid container. A shallow plastic container would be the choice for containing the acid. Wear rubber gloves! Don't breath the fumes!

After the acid bath . . . rinse thoroughly with water. Clean your prep. container for the next use.

Work slowly and with a steady hand for all preparation applications.

Ichnojoe

thanks for the info ichnojoe - I plan on using a technique like the one you describe once i have collected some more of these fish, and have some disarticulate pieces to practice on. I will post pics when i have prepped one well.

I'll have to give this method a try.

I have plenty of scrap material to practice on.

THanks ichnojoe!

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

and get your Muriatic Acid from a pool supply store(it's clear)...not Home Depot. the stuff from H.D. is a nasty yellow/green color and it will discolor your fossils.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but air abrasion works the best with these fish. Below is one of my fish from I'd imagine to be the same site you found yours in the Feltville Fm. I prepped mine with air abrasion using baking soda as the blast medium of choice. 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack_E_Bones_N_Stones said:

I know this is an old topic, but air abrasion works the best with these fish. Below is one of my fish from I'd imagine to be the same site you found yours in the Feltville Fm. I prepped mine with air abrasion using baking soda as the blast medium of choice. 

Jack,

That is a wonderful fish, and prep! :wub: 

Thanks for posting it. 
Regards,

7 hours ago, Jack_E_Bones_N_Stones said:

... Below is one of my fish from I'd imagine to be the same site you found yours ...

Wow. That's a terrific fish! Great find and great prep. Thanks for posting it here.

Congratulations-crab.gif

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Drool

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived