Sinopaleus

Sites Near Plymouth, Nh

Sinopaleus

hello all

as my life continues, i will be attending a boarding school in Plymouth, New Hampshire. since that i can finally go fossiling in the U.S, i would like to know some sites near Plymouth. please introduce me to some sites of any age! thanks!

henry

piranha

Congratulations on your commitment to education Henry! You will be highly successful whatever direction your interests lead you. Unfortunately my optimistic outlook does not include the state of New Hampshire as far as fossil hunting is concerned. It appears to be slim pickings so let's hope for your sake it fails to live up to the nickname of "The Granite State". By all means, find an active rock and mineral club to give yourself a decent chance at finding something worth digging for in the first place. The good news: Plymouth is in Grafton County which has more than half of the sites listed for the entire state. This link has a few localities that sound promising at least.

NH LINK

Good Luck! :D

jpc

Good luck... yes, NH, Vermont and Maine are probably the most fossil-free states in the union... that is the rocks there are not polluted by such things as fossils. Massachusetts nearby is only a tad better. There are few dinos footprint sites in MA, and a few of their collectors here on the forum. Head west young man. NY is littered with fossils. Once you get into NY, any roadcut is worth exploring. It is a big state with some classic sites in the western portion.

I'm sure there are locals who have better details than that, and who can correct my mis-speakings.

Sinopaleus

thank you scott and jpc B)

i have just notified the school faculties, and hopefully we can pay a visit to grafton! dalmanites and lichas? oh boy, here i come! :drool:

jpc, i will be attending a summer camp in NY, Oneonta. last year when i was there, i saw a lot of grey rocks on the side of the roads. Although there are no mountains anywhere close to the camp, i saw a few brachiopods and oysters. too bad i didn't develope an interest in them yet back then :( i will be looking out for the rocks again this year.

orangebuccaneer

maybe in northern reaches of NH but i have never founsd anything there.....Maine has some great marine fossils and shells...I have found them on top of mountains...Mt battie

rew

I live in New Hampshire. I checked a geologic map of this state. It's all various flavors of igneous and metamorphic rock. I doubt that there's 10 acres of sedimetary rock in the state. It's not called the granite state for nothing.