Pathological Thresher?

Serack

It rained pretty hard Wednesday and I would have gone out searching my favorite creek before today (Sunday) but I had already made plans to wait until Sunday to take a friend and I figured I'd bring him to my fav spot.

Well we get there and I can see footprints of someone who already cleared the place out so no good megs today, but I did find this very interesting tooth that looks like it might be a pathological thresher tooth. If it is it is only my 3rd thresher, a pic of it with the other 2 is included. It is also significantly larger than my other two.

The root has a huge nutrient groove and is very different from the other threshers I have and unlike the pictures on elasmo but maybe that is due to some pathology.

post-462-1215366404_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366420_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366439_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366454_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366467_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366477_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215366487_thumb.jpg

Woah! Knife edge, wicked tip curve to the lingual, big nutrient groove; what is that thing?

I'll have to watch this post for opinions, as I haven't any.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Woah! Knife edge, wicked tip curve to the lingual, big nutrient groove; what is that thing?

I'll have to watch this post for opinions, as I haven't any.

Isn't the nutrient groove usually on the lingual side? if so than that means that the curve is to the labial side

Guest bmorefossil

wow that is something, is it me or does the back of the tooth look like a tiger shark or hemi.. A tiger/hemi. with no serrations lol

I'm taking it and 2 other small teeth that I have posted here to the museum sometime this week in hopes of finding someone who can ID them in person.

I'm taking it and 2 other small teeth that I have posted here to the museum sometime this week in hopes of finding someone who can ID them in person.

Well I went by the museam and the lady at the desk gave me the contact info of one of their palentologists. I ended up emailing him these pictures as well as pictures of 2 other teeth that I have had questions on the identification of. The pictures were in the order of the topics linked below followed by the tooth of this topic

A Tiny Gainesville Tooth

Little Tooth, Big Root

He forwarded the pictures to a graduate student who emailed me this response

Richard passed along the photogaphs of the shark teeth you collected. I am a graduate student working on some fossil sharks and he thought I would be able to shed some light on them. One of the problems with those teeth is that two of the three are deformed. I think the first one is a deformed dusky shark tooth, Carcharhinus obscurus, although it appears to be rather small. It could be a smaller lateral tooth, or just one from a smaller individual. The second one, I believe, is a lower lateral tooth from a requim shark. This is the genus Carcharhinus. The lower teeth of most requim sharks are smooth cylinders and are very hard to tell apart. Based on the size of the root, I think it must be the last tooth in the back of the jaw. The third one is the toughest. Based on the root shape, it looks lik a snaggletooth shark, Hemipristis serra, however, the lack of serrations is somewhat disturbing. The tooth is highly deformed, however and could be a result of that. I forwarded the images along to another fossil shark expert, that has a lot more experience with deformed teeth. He is out of town, but I can forward along his guesses when I receive them.

It turns out that the "other expert" that he forwarded them to was none other than Dr. Gordon Hubbell who responded with this

The first tooth is an upper lateral/posterior Carcharhinus obscurus. The second tooth is a slightly deformed lower lateral/posterior, probably from a Carcharhinus obscurus. It looks like a small part of the jaw may be preserved on the bottom of the root. The third tooth is a mystery. It is obviously deformed. It could very well be a Hemipristis. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that even in my deformed Hemipristis the lateral enamel margins retain the coarse serrations. This specimen is smooth-edged. But, as you say the root seems to indicate a Hemipristis."

Guest bmorefossil

wow i feel special, i was right for once!!!!!!! lol

hey could you repost the link they dont work for me

wow i feel special, i was right for once!!!!!!! lol

hey could you repost the link they dont work for me

oops, fixed

>< bah there we go.

wait a minute... you coulda fixed that on your own Mr. Mod (the first time that is, not sure about the 2nd time)

Guest bmorefossil
>< bah there we go.

wait a minute... you coulda fixed that on your own Mr. Mod (the first time that is, not sure about the 2nd time)

yea i know i was to lazy and was trying to fix my boat :P

Really cool to get definitive answers on the two teeth.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium