Elizabethtown, Nc

David Scibetta

Hi everybody. i just wanted to show off a few pics of some massive logs of petrified wood pulled out of a sand and gravel mine, along the banks of the Cape Fear River, near Elizabethtown. Our work associate owns it and came into a bunch during digging and set these beasts aside. There's even a base of a tree with roots and all, like a dozer just ripped it out. I've grabbed a bunch of much smaller bits and pieces, basically petrified firewood. It is scattered all over the place, and is all sorts of textures. You haven't felt pain until you've felt a stone splinter. I'll post closeup pics of the smaller pieces to show detail if anyones interested. Thanks for looking.

David

post-5774-0-99297400-1307582426_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-18083400-1307582443_thumb.jpg

post-5774-0-20431500-1307582456_thumb.jpg

Wow. Really? Wow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yes, please, show us the close-ups!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Sweet, would love to see more pics

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

That area is full of petrified wood. I have seen it in the creeks that feed into the Cape Fear as well. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/blog/101/entry-99-duplin-formation/

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

That would be most coolest job to find stuff while you are getting paid to boot. Toss the finds to the side to pick on way home.. :) :) Of course those big ones might need a trailer to hawl them out. But really cool finds, thanks for sharing...:)

Wow thats awesome, I really need to get a boat and explore the tar river, thanks for posting!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Wow thats awesome, I really need to get a boat and explore the tar river, thanks for posting!

Mike when ya get one I will help ya off load and load boat being 2nd mate sure Rick will be 1st mate :) :) :)

Mike when ya get one I will help ya off load and load boat being 2nd mate sure Rick will be 1st mate :) :) :)

"I think were going to need a bigger boat" :P:D Sorry, I couldnt resist qouting that!

But yeah, I am definitely up for some exploring!

"I think were going to need a bigger boat" :P:D Sorry, I couldnt resist qouting that!

But yeah, I am definitely up for some exploring!

I have a jon boat but I know we need a bigger boat for all them fossils we will find :)

Very Interesting ! The wood looks like fresh deadfall.Is it all the same color through out. Can't wait to see the closeups of other pieces.

Hello David,

That is really cool. Huge petrified wood. I find petwood often but usually small pieces. I have however found a very neat section of petrified wood that has a neat quartz crystal formation in the center of it.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Whew! Finally, some time to take closeups. This is a group of six pieces I have from all sorts of angles, and on areas that look interesting. The neatest is the flaky one, very crystally. But I kind of like them all. It's just so cool because of all the different textures on all of it. I really need to load up on about 2 tons more.

post-5774-0-45336800-1308431571_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-96354000-1308431581_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-01820500-1308431592_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-43946100-1308431602_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-04888400-1308431609_thumb.jpgpost-5774-0-43429700-1308431617_thumb.jpg

Wow, great close ups. I need to do some river exploring!

Very cool! Looks like various stages of pre-fossilization decomposition.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived