Fossil And Bone Modeling...

Clayton Jones

I don't think anyone has been able to print in bone yet, but you can get several kinds of plastic, a few metals and even ceramic. I can only imagine the fake fossils that will start coming out if printers are ever able to print in bone...

Also, I finished the ulnare, radius, ulna and humerus today! I still have a little tweaking to do to make sure they all fit together, but it's pretty much done. I'd like to add the scapula too before I send it off to be printed.

post-5406-0-79794500-1385628710_thumb.png

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

That is just so neat. I look forward to seeing pictures when they are done.

You are probably right that people would abuse the system and print fakes in bone but I think printing in bone will come.

@Collector

That is just so neat. I look forward to seeing pictures when they are done.

You are probably right that people would abuse the system and print fakes in bone but I think printing in bone will come.

3D printed bone will be incredibly good for medical science but could cause problems for biologists and paleontologists, though it probably wouldn't be hard to tell the difference between natural bone and artificial bone for an expert or someone with a microscope... It'll be a pain in the butt trying to convince gullible people, with no training in science, that that something like a giant human femur, that was made of bone, wasn't a real giant human femur.

I finished the forearm! 18 bones in about a week, with more detail and accuracy than I've achieved before! I'll be printing them off in laser-sintered nylon and to avoid the higher costs of printing solid parts, I will have to hollow out the models before sending them off.

The scapula!
post-5406-0-64042900-1385712297_thumb.png

The whole arm!
post-5406-0-81731700-1385712300_thumb.png

If you happen to notice any problems with the bones, maybe I sculpted part of one of the bones wrong or something, please let me know!

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

• 9 months later...

Once again, I bring long-awaited updates on my fossil-recreations!

After a hiatus on sculpting, I've finished the first version of the first dorsal vertebra of Deinonychus antirrhopus. I'm sure that there are some things that need to be fixed in the model, due to lack of reference material on the vertebra.

post-5406-0-74750600-1411854586_thumb.jpg

And here is a turntable video of the vertebra:

Tell me what you think and let me know if you see something wrong with the model.

WhVUieh.png

Even were I qualified to critique the technical details, I couldn't, 'cause my jaw dropped open!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That looks very, very nice. Even comparing it to the original paper by Ostrom it looks spot on. Great job!

I saw on your facebook page that you are also making Deinonychus bones out of foam. Are you using the digital models as reference to base the foam sculpture on?

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@Auspex - Thanks, I'm glad that you are impressed with my work!

@LordTrilobite - Thank you, as well!

I model the bones first so that I'll have a very detailed reference that allows me to put all the information I've found on a bone in one place and it is also much easier, and cheaper, to fix should I mess something up. I also become more familiar with the form of the bone while modeling digitally so that the final foam, or clay, sculpt will be easier.

Once the model is finished, I can print out accurate schematic views for carving. The drawings provided in journals are often done by hand and so they don't match up perfectly between different views of the same bone. I can also use the models to plan my fabrication process; I can measure the thickness of certain parts of the bone to see what material they would best be replicated in, or I can block out an armature for bigger bones and save on foam (I plan on making some 1:1 sauropod bones and will definitely save on foam by making hollow cores out of cheaper material than the foam that will go on the outside).

Edited by Clayton Jones

WhVUieh.png

I started and finished the fourth dorsal vertebra today, this goes a lot quicker when I'm more familiar with the form of the vertebrae.

post-5406-0-36616000-1411939140_thumb.jpg

WhVUieh.png