Mystery Skeleton (non Fossil)

LanceH

What the heck is that???

News Story

Three kids from a North Texas family have stumbled upon a mystery from the deep that's puzzling scientists. While on vacation, they discovered the skull and spine of a creature that no one seems to be able to identify, and it's getting them national attention.

Well, it looks to me like the "skull" is very incomplete (the holes referred to as eyes surely aren't). The structure of the verts look like fish.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

its looks like fish to me the only interesting thing is the top part of the skull, i see fish all the time, the bone structure is exactly the same but from what kind exactly im not sure. They said eel or something does anyone know if the skeleton of a eel looks like this?

Christ almightey. Thats a big honkin fish skeleton, thats all. Nothing more. I can't tell what kind of fish those verts are from, but if I had to make a guess, I'd say from a pleuronectiform (e.g. flatfish and relatives).

Those holes they zoom in on are (I believe) the optic foramen; the much larger structure is the orbit.

But, whoever the marine biologist they showed that to couldn't ID it, they should be fired. Marine biologists are usually trained in having to ID dead snarge that washes up.

Bobby

Guest Cris

I could tell within 2 seconds of seeing it that it was a huge fish :P Very shocked that a marine biologist couldn't ID it.

Christ almightey. Thats a big honkin fish skeleton, thats all. Nothing more. I can't tell what kind of fish those verts are from, but if I had to make a guess, I'd say from a pleuronectiform (e.g. flatfish and relatives).

Those holes they zoom in on are (I believe) the optic foramen; the much larger structure is the orbit.

But, whoever the marine biologist they showed that to couldn't ID it, they should be fired. Marine biologists are usually trained in having to ID dead snarge that washes up.

Bobby

Surely they didn't say it could be a sea snake. Tell me I was hearing things. :)

Thanks,

Eddie

Chupacabra!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

the skeleton was taken to a taxidermist to be cleaned up and that was his guess as to what it was

That's a dragon skeleton. I could tell right away.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

no, now that I look at it, I'll re-identify it. Too big for a chupacabra. And halletestonian sea dragons, those are extinct, man!

Clearly it is bigfoot. Or perhaps the skunk ape.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Hemichaiblurganah weewee!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

and people called me crazy when i said the loch ness monster was real :P

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away