Not Really A Contest But Certainly A Challenge :-)

isurus90064

Looks feline to me.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

It might be from a paleozoic shark. Seems to a Godzilla version of some Peripristis teeth.

Undoubtedly is a monster size to those times. Cool tooth.

It took some research but after I found out what it is it became my 2nd favorite fossil to get .... can you ID the tooth .. btw it is about 3.25" across (left to right).

It reminds me a beardog molar side view,but aswell to other mammal molar, like Meles Meles, or just a pathological one of somekind of carnivorous .Can you rotate it, so we can se de upper part or the other view?

Here is once side view and a semi side view/top view (you can see the back of the tooth).

A pulmonate upper pharingeal tooth? A lamprey pharinx tooth? The top view has just :wacko: me! Does`t look mammal,thoug the type of bone attached to it looks as it is... :blink:

A pulmonate upper pharingeal tooth? A lamprey pharinx tooth? The top view has just :wacko: me! Does`t look mammal,thoug the type of bone attached to it looks as it is... :blink:

Sorry, a pulmonate fish upper pharingeal tooth;just a mistake!

Sorry, a pulmonate fish upper pharingeal tooth;just a mistake!

I`ve got it! Is it a Ginglymostoma shark tooth? If not CHUPACABRA!!!! :D

That's it Chupacabra :P :P

You guys are in the correct corner of the animal kingdon. ... this tooth is from a Permian shark. Question is which one .. I was going to let it run until Saturday and see if anyone was able to come up with an ID.

Isurus90064:

That is one gorgeous specimen! The tooth looks to be from a Peripristis (Ctenoptychius) sp. (possibly Peripristis semicircularis), which is known from the Pennsylvanian and Permian rocks of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas and Nebraska. If it is, it is an enormous tooth. I have specimens from the Belle City Limestone (Pennsyvanian) and Boggy Formation (Pennsylvanian) in Oklahoma and from the Colony Creek Shale (Pennsylvanian), Lake Bridgeport Shale (Pennsylvanian), Harpersville (transitional Pennsylvanian to Permian) and Leuders Formation (Middle Permian). The teeth that I have collected have ranged from about one half inch up to one inch in length.

Regards,

Mike

Hmmm... @ 3.25" wide... the ony Paleozoic shark teeth I know of that reach that size belong to the Petalodonts.

My guess is Megactenopetalatus kaibabanus.

Can you tell me the locality it was collected from?

The only thing I have close in size in a Paleozoic tooth is a Petalodus: 52mm height, 56mm width - and yes, it is red!

post-213-1215626733_thumb.jpg

On a seperate note - we need to synch up at some point - looks like we share an interest in cool and unique shark remains!

Guest bmorefossil
BTW Isurus - is the tooth in your collection?

im gonna second the Megactenopetalatus the closet i found and anyting with mega in is name is good choice. No i think when he said its his second favorite fossil he would like to get , he hasnt found it yet,but i guess he could have, isurus has found everything

Very cool!!! I have seen a tooth like that but can't remember what it came from but still cool ! B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

Hey Hybodus (and bmore :-)), I'm impressed!!!! It is the Permian petalodont chondrychthian named Megactenopetalus kaibabanus from the Kaibab Formation. This particular example is not in my collection, it resides in the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff. I do have one partial and several fragments of this species from a different location however. The locality on this specimen is the northern rim of the Grand Canyon not too far from Point Sublime.

btw Hybodus, that's an absolutely beautiful Petolodus tooth!!!!

Guest bmorefossil

it was really hard becuase the only info i could find on them was off of oceans of kansas, and i couldnt find any pictures on there but the description of the teeth fit this tooth

Thanks Isurus... I have a huge collection of Paleozoic shark remains (my favorite), and I remembered seenig a reference to this form in Zangerel's Chondrichthyes I, Paleozoic Elasmobranchii - I double checked before supplying a response - page 96, figure 108 - although the poor line prawing shows a tooth roughly 65mm wide, Megactenopetalus is the only known Paleozoic tooth described so far to reach such a large size -

That is an absolutely killer specimen you show, and I have added it to my want list!

And thanks - the Petalodus is from Washington County, Arkansas, Pitkin Limestone Formation.

it was really hard becuase the only info i could find on them was off of oceans of kansas, and i couldnt find any pictures on there but the description of the teeth fit this tooth

That's pretty amazing .... there are only handful of fossils of this species ever found (mostly broken and that's probably why it didn't get the 'stature' of let's say a Helicoprion or even an Edestus and there are a few others).

And thanks - the Petalodus is from Washington County, Arkansas, Pitkin Limestone Formation.

Very very nice indeed. I'll see if I can dig up my Megactenopetalus and photograph it although I have to find it in my garage first.

Monster tooth. It makes the two Petalodus teeth I found in Kentucky seem tiny.