Regulations Bringing Fossils Into Canada

Malcolmt

I am planning on going to the 18 mile creek area in New York State ( I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Does anyone know what are the regulations that come into play for me when I bring rocks / fossils back into Canada. Is there anything special that you need to say at the boarder not to get red flagged. I know that when I purchased some fossil fish from Wyoming that they came declared as "Rocks for Educatiional purposes" and I did not have to pay any duty on them. My understanding is that an American can take out of Canada about 50 pounds of invertebrate fossils from one specific local. I have read that sometimes an agressive Canadian Boarder guard can disallow bringing "valuable" or rare fossils into Canada without proper documentation.

Any comments about hunting the 18 mile creek area would be appreciated.

I've been down to 18 Mile/ Penn Dixie twice this year, and haven't had a problem yet at the border. In fact, both times , the customs agents on the way home both said "cool" when I told them why I was down there and asked how I did. The last time, when I crossed into the US, the agent asked what the purpose of my trip was, and when I said fossil collecting, he asked where. When I said Penn Dixie, he told me what a great site it was, and that he had taken his kids there. I don't know of any limitations, but I sailed through, without problems, and I don't think you'll find any really "rare" fossils there. If it was dino bones, that might be a different story.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I've been down to 18 Mile/ Penn Dixie twice this year, and haven't had a problem yet at the border. In fact, both times , the customs agents on the way home both said "cool" when I told them why I was down there and asked how I did. The last time, when I crossed into the US, the agent asked what the purpose of my trip was, and when I said fossil collecting, he asked where. When I said Penn Dixie, he told me what a great site it was, and that he had taken his kids there. I don't know of any limitations, but I sailed through, without problems, and I don't think you'll find any really "rare" fossils there. If it was dino bones, that might be a different story.

I will only be going for the day, would you just go to the Lake Eire cliffs or go to both the quarry/park and the cliffs?

Personal preference really. Last time I went, Xonenine, Shamalama and myself did PD, then we went to 18 Mile (minus Xonenine) for a couple of hours. The first time I went down, it was strictly 18 Mile. I've only done day trips as well. Either place would be good to fill a day, or combine them, there's enough hours of daylight to do both.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

As my field reports will verify, I've only had problems taking fossils out of Canada. Most of the border agents are worried about soil. Make sure the fossils are clean of excess soil (no loose dirt or dirt clumps allowed). I don't think Canada cares about what you bring in as long as it's not valuable, but they do get touchy about (aboot?) what you take out and wants to prevent anything "culturally valuable" from leaving illegally.

It will depend on the customs agent you meet and how diligent they want to be. I crossed from Michigan into Canada with a couple buckets of rock (some of which was eroded dirt that I wanted to sift for micros) and the guy didn't blink an eye. Coming out of Canada I mention "Fossils" and I get pulled over and searched.

As for 18 Mile Creek, if you want to search the Lake Erie shoreline, go early as the lake level often rises in the evening (unless you want to wade and swim). Penn Dixie is open until 4pm but they might let you stay later.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 1 year later...

I was actually stopped yesterday coming back into Canada from Penn Dixie, I had about 100 pounds of Windom shale rock in two buckets. The boarder agent was very hung up on the fact that I might be bringing dirt into Canada , which is not allowed. Did not care that they were fossils. After about 5 minutes of questions he did let me go with my rocks. He warned me that dirt is not allowed and that I need to be carefull.

Edited by Malcolmt

Thanks for the heads-up, Malcolm; this soil issue may be something they're focusing on.

It might pay cross-border collectors to wash the dirt off their fossils when possible, to avoid the inconvenience.

I recall being directed to walk across a disinfectant-treated mat at New Zealand customs; I understand they're being careful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I travel from Michigan to Arkona, Ontario and Michigan through Ontario to New York probably half a dozen times a year. Make sure you say "fossil collecting" not "hunting". I've had a few customs agents ask questions when I've said "fossil hunting". They don't hear fossil at all and think I need a gun to hunt...

I've also noticed the Michigan customs agents tend to be touchier. I've never had a problem with Canadian or New York agents. I cross at Port Huron in Michigan and maybe 20% of the time a Michigan agent will give me 20 questions. Most of the time it's very quick and they ask how I did. I've also noticed since I got my Nexus card, I get fewer questions. The card has an RFID chip that gets scanned as you pull up to the booth and on a cold morning a Canadian agent just waved me through without opening his window. He saw my profile and wanted to stay warm. :)

Loose dirt and farm exposure seems to be what they're most concerned about. I've been to New Zealand also and they get hardcore about microbes. I had hiking boots with grass residue. They took them into a room and washed them down before I was allowed to enter New Zealand. It makes more sense on an isolated island nation.

I wouldn't worry about crossing. You should be fine.

If the agent had looked at my car he would have seen that it had tons of dirt on it (from Ridgemount Quarry) and needs a wash desparately. I just hope he did not put a note in the file that will now cause me to get checked all the time, usually I just get waived through when I return to Canda.

Malcolm,

I've crossed from Canada before and told them I was fossil collecting and they immediately pulled me out of line and searched my car. Made a big deal about a couple pieces of Arkona shale that had some clay on them. Tried to tell me that there are clay soils but I choose not to press the point. 1/2 hour later I was let go. I've had more problems coming back into the US than going into Canada. This past trip I just told them I'd been up at Lake Simcoe, Lake Erie and the Ausable river hiking, boating and fishing. It was close to the truth and they let me go through with no issues. Was more concerned with the beer I was bringing back. Now, if they searched my car they would have found a bucket full of dirt and fossils from New York but that still would have rung some alert bells. Suffice to say, I am just telling the crossing guards that I was visiting friends and playing in the outdoors.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/