Lee Creek Mako Teeth

fossilselachian

Attached is a pic of some fossil Mako teeth from the Miocene & Pliocene of the Lee Creek Mine

post-294-1215802963_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow!! Great teeth!! I got real lucky today when Obsessed1 gave me a beautiful Mako from Lee Creek!! Can't wait to be there next year (hopefully).

Outstanding collection! The Bakersfield makos are colorful, but imo Lee Creek makos are the tops. That wide one in the center of the top row is neat, it caught my eye for some reason. Thanks for sharing!

Eddie

the only question i have right now is, how long did it take you to get all of them?

Sweet collection.

I am trying to arrange mine so that the lower teeth point up and the upper teeth point down, but I am not good at figuring out jaw placement yet.

edit: Just looked at my collection, and out of 15 mostly complete teeth, only 2 are big enough to meet your size criterion, and both are more flawed than any of those :( sweet collection

Some Lee Creek mako pics:

1) My larger makos. (For scale, the largest one in the upper row is slightly over 2 3/4".)

2) Shows color variation (light blue, dark gray (muddy green?), and classic tan/pearl)

3) For Serack, this is a partial dentition a friend of mine and I put together. I think it's fairly accurate given the

limited amount of teeth we have, but I'm not convinced even the real experts have the dentitions figured out. So

don't lose too much sleep over it. :)

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1215866040_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215866054_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215876221_thumb.jpg

Some Lee Creek mako pics:

3) For Serack, this is a partial dentition a friend of mine and I put together. I think it's fairly accurate given the

limited amount of teeth we have, but I'm not convinced even the real experts have the dentitions figured out. So

don't lose too much sleep over it. :)

Thanks,

Eddie

I always figured the narrow ones were lower anterior like in hemis

edit: elasmo implies 2 diff sharks maybe diff species even

I always figured the narrow ones were lower anterior like in hemis

edit: elasmo implies 2 diff sharks maybe diff species even

Sorry, the picture was upside down!!!! :o

I edited my post above and corrected it.

I don't see why there wouldn't be several different species. I think that's why the mako evolution

is so confusing. Given the span of the time period, natural variation of tooth shapes of the same

and different positions, possible sexual dimorphism, possible multiple species, etc., it's an ongoing

battle to figure this out, if it even can be figured out.

Thanks,

Eddie

the only question i have right now is, how long did it take you to get all of them?

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to collect Lee Creek for periods (multiple times) up to a week at a time. On such occasions there may have been 2-4 collectors in the mine and the extent of the open mine area was much greater than what is available for collecting today. In those years you could almost get lost in the mine. Today's reclamation requirements limit the amount of open (unreclaimed) area in the mine.

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to collect Lee Creek for periods (multiple times) up to a week at a time. On such occasions there may have been 2-4 collectors in the mine and the extent of the open mine area was much greater than what is available for collecting today. In those years you could almost get lost in the mine. Today's reclamation requirements limit the amount of open (unreclaimed) area in the mine.

That must have been quite the collecting trip :-) .... I looked at them again and those are some real cherry teeth, congrats.

Eddie, nice makos!!

Guest bmorefossil

wow you are very lucky (=

wow you are very lucky (=

[/quote

That I was! These collecting trips were an incredible priviledge - something, at least for me, will never be repeated. These trips will always be a collecting highlight. :):)

Archived