Chili Material

isurus90064

Been working all week and haven't been very active. I still owe a couple of people some emails and will try to get to that this weekend.

In the meantime, the first meg here is just around 6.5" and look at what it can do all by itself :-)

Marcel.

post-423-1263087498524_thumb.jpgpost-423-12630874636175_thumb.jpg

I realize that this one is in poor condition but wanted to post it because there aren't many that come out as more than a fragment ... would love to see more.

The blotching is not damage, but mereyl discoloration.

post-488-12630932087969_thumb.jpg post-488-12630932061524_thumb.jpg

Awesome fossils, Marcel!

I agree the bourlette on the second tooth really stands out.

Unfortunately, my ray knowledhe is limited as well so I can't help you out there.

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Been working all week and haven't been very active. I still owe a couple of people some emails and will try to get to that this weekend.

In the meantime, the first meg here is just around 6.5" and look at what it can do all by itself :-)

Marcel.

I guess that's why they are called MEGA-lodon. Stunning example :o

Guest bmorefossil

wow they are all great finds, the first meg is just huge, the second is very interesting with the tooth being such a light color and then the bourlette being red is very cool. for the ray plates they are very wide, i have a bonnet ray one that if you stretch it out would have been around the same width.

Marcel.

You could practically use that one as a boot jack!

post-423-1215869341.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, some killer megs! Great stuff, Marcel. You can pack one of those megs along with the other

teeth you're sending me. :P Great ray plate as well.

Thanks,

Eddie

about 4-5 years ago I had the opportunity to go through a collection of Chilean makos that totalled about 17,000 teeth. In the amount of time I had I was able to go through about 4-5000 of them and here are a few of them ...

post-488-12630930398326_thumb.jpg post-488-12630930418668_thumb.jpg

post-488-12630930439731_thumb.jpg post-488-12630930376848_thumb.jpg

about 4-5 years ago I had the opportunity to go through a collection of Chilean makos that totalled about 17,000 teeth. In the amount of time I had I was able to go through about 4-5000 of them and here are a few of them ...

OMG, 17,000 teeth. I can't even fathom that number of makos. Must have been your lucky day B)

Some nice specimens there. The last one has a very neat color.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Marcel:

Is there a "story" here?? How do 17,000 Chilean mako teeth end up in a single location???????? Most interesting and hope there is a

"rest of the story".

Marcel:

Is there a "story" here?? How do 17,000 Chilean mako teeth end up in a single location???????? Most interesting and hope there is a

"rest of the story".

Hey FS,

In the heyday of Chilean material making it into the US I saw several batches that were extremely large in terms of # of teeth, ~17,000 makos, ~14,000 great whites (several times). Of the 4-5,000 teeth or so (which wasn't really a collection but rather a commercial purchase) I had a chance to look at these were some of the 'prettiest colors' in the bunch (I think I have around 70-80 or so). That means there are still quite a few of these floating around. So I guess there's not really a point to the story :-) other than the fact that Chilean teeth are a lot less rare than some ads on ebay will make you believe.

WOW, very nice stuff!!

I think I want to move to Chili if they find that many teeth, and being that nice quality. :blink:

(we need a new smiley, one with his jaw on the floor, tongue hanging out )

Hey FS,

In the heyday of Chilean material making it into the US I saw several batches that were extremely large in terms of # of teeth, ~17,000 makos, ~14,000 great whites (several times). Of the 4-5,000 teeth or so (which wasn't really a collection but rather a commercial purchase) I had a chance to look at these were some of the 'prettiest colors' in the bunch (I think I have around 70-80 or so). That means there are still quite a few of these floating around. So I guess there's not really a point to the story :-) other than the fact that Chilean teeth are a lot less rare than some ads on ebay will make you believe.

Hi Marcel:

Thanks for the follow-up. I somewhat figured it was "batching" for a commercial venture rather than an actual collection. Nevertheless, just the fact that so many makos and G/W's were available makes for an interesting story. When one considers the fact that G/W teeth are available from many US locations, there is not one such location that could produce a small fraction of the quantity of G/W's produced by Chile.