Mosasaur Tooth

jax

I happened upon this the other day. Just the tip was showing. I usally find broken stuff at this spot, so I wasnt expecting too much. I started to scatch off the matrix and it was all there. The other side has a chip out of it, but still an awesome tooth. Its a 1/2 inch long.

justin

post-221-1215913577_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
I happened upon this the other day. Just the tip was showing. I usally find broken stuff at this spot, so I wasnt expecting too much. I started to scatch off the matrix and it was all there. The other side has a chip out of it, but still an awesome tooth. Its a 1/2 inch long.

justin

nice tooth

Very nice.

FD

Nice tooth, Jax!

Paul

PS: How did you do in öur quarry"?

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Christmas in July! Nice surprise package to open; gonna' leave it in matrix? I like it just the way it is! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice tooth, Jax!

Paul

PS: How did you do in öur quarry"?

I did alright in the quarry. I found a few Ech's Most were beat up. I got one small ammonite. There was probably 50 people or more in there. Roz from on here found a couple nice urchins, and 3-4 ammonites.

And yes I plan on keeping it in the matrix. I have a lot of my teeth still in the matrix. It gives them a better look, and I can display them better.

Justin

. And yes I plan on keeping it in the matrix. I have a lot of my teeth still in the matrix. It gives them a better look, and I can display them better.

Justin

Thanks for sharing.

Nice tooth. Does it have more curve than usual?

I agree about specimens in matrix. Some fossils have more character when the matrix is cut and the piece displayed as such.

There's no real downside to leaving a fossil in matrix. You can always change your mind and try to free it... but once the matrix is removed you can't 'undo' the prep. An inexpensive tile saw ($40) can cut away excess matrix and turn a heavy 'chunk' of rock down to a 'self-standing' few ounces for display.

Nice tooth. Does it have more curve than usual?

It does have some good curve. I have one other one that has some curve, but this seems to have the most out of all that I have found.