July 3Rd, Buffalo Ny Area

Fossildude19

Hello all!

July 3rd dawned (literally) early,... at 5:00 am for me.

I had been up the previous morning at 3:00 am, to travel the 6+ hours from Connecticut to the annual 4th of July Jones/Browning family reunion, at my aunt's lake cottage in Rushford, NY. I was excited this morning, though, with the prospect of some good fossiling in good company. After the usual morning ablutions, :blush:

I packed the Pilot, with snacks and fossiling gear, and shoved off at 6:00am. I was headed out on the 56 minute drive from Rushford to the super secret location in the Buffalo area.

I had been to this area twice before, and had come away with some of my best trilobites to date,( A few Eldregeops rollers, and one prone, but messed up Greenops possibly?) so I was hoping for a repeat performance, at least. Was I wrong,... but, ... I digress.

Muttering under my breath to the Fossil Gods, while "GPS Lady" guided me in her heavy handed way, to my destination. :rolleyes:

Doh! Need gas!! :DOH: Found a station on the route there, and after a quick fill-up, :default_clap2: disregarding even coffee in my excitement, I was off again to the refrain of "Recalculating!" ... yeah... yeah,... I'm goin, I'm goin! Jeeze! :rolleyes:

The sunny summer sky was turning threatening, to the north,( the directon I was headed!) :unsure: and I drove with trepidation to the locality.

Darker skies seemed to want to confirm the weather guy's baleful forecast of "Pop up T-storms".  :unsure:  Great! Well, rain or no rain... Onward and upwards. happy.gif

Arriving at my destination, I pulled into the lot, and found Xonenine (Carmine) waiting for me.

We got out of our cars, shook our hello's, ... and started almost immediately to converse about fossils as we made an exchange of fossils. I liked Carmine right away, and we seemed to hit it off. The rain started up while we stood talking over the fossils, and let up again, just as suddenly. The weather guy was wrong again. What else is new? After a short time discussing our trades, we decided to get moving. I had to leave by 12 - noon, or would have to face the wrath of She Who Must be Obeyed. (Don't want that!) :blink:

So after moving to the lower lot with our vehicles, we geared up, and set out into the creek.

Entrance to the creek on the left.

post-2806-0-02212700-1310352899_thumb.jp

We headed left under the small bridge, and I mentioned to Carmine ( Who, by the way, is a great guy. Modest and down to earth, and generous to a fault!)

that sometimes trilos could be found in the concretions that can be found weathering out of the shale cliffs.

post-2806-0-15892900-1310353410_thumb.jp

Carmine using his xray eagle vision to find fossils.

post-2806-0-61589800-1310353460_thumb.jp

View looking back under bridge.

post-2806-0-65411900-1310353524_thumb.jp

He immediately grabbed a large one out of the base of the cliff, roughly a 2ft x 1ft round honker of a concretion, and proceded to smack it with a sledge. This stuff is HARD! Well, Carmine is no slouch with a sledge, and boom, the concretion splits. There is a roller Eldredgeops, right in the center of this huge thing. I took some time to break out the chunk with the roller in it, as Carmine had deffered to me, as his guest, ( Did I mention he is a gracious host?) and I finally got it out, in the midst of which I found another, smaller roller, which broke out fairly easily ... I insisted he take it, and he reluctantly agreed.

We worked our way down stream, splitting shales, ...(the Mucrospirifers were plentiful)...

post-2806-0-50978800-1310353622_thumb.jp

and finding wildlife...

post-2806-0-31388900-1310353686_thumb.jp

Carmine finding more cool stuff...

post-2806-0-64659000-1310353723_thumb.jp

We moved along, and started to search near the second bridge, finding the much harder limestones that produce giant favosites, brachiopods, trilo-bits and pieces, and horn corals. ...

... TO BE CONTINUED>>> Tomorrow... ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the report Tim, we've been waiting all day for it.

Can't wait for tomorrows update!!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Tim & Carmine... Great trip report and what a wonderful place to hunt... the weather man in the Uk is always wrong too... :D

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Welcome back Tim. Looks like a nice place to hunt. I never think to take my camera along for background/in the field shots, makes for a nice story.

Sigh!!!!! Wish I was there :( I'd love to go a-hunting with you guys.

Best wishes, Roger

That makes two of us! Anyone want to come to Tennessee? :P:D :D

Wow, great trip report so far. Looking forward to tomorrow. I think I know where you guys might be... :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yeah, I like a good report with pics to go along with. Kind of a nice looking spot too.

And I've always found that fossil hunters, for the most part, are really good people. Generous, helpful and always willing to share a good story. Just like yours.

I'm also waiting to read more. And seeing more. Thanks!

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

That makes two of us! Anyone want to come to Tennessee? :P:D :D

Roger usually says what a lot of us would :)

The place is an ideal hunting area and not only and Carmine is an ideal hunter and not only :D .

We have a lot more to see :rolleyes: .

Thanks a lot, Tim, for sharing your nice adventure ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

well, I was ready - camera loaded with pictures, new computer purring quietly, sated, all its favorite software reinstalled...

I pulled the memory card to put in the new PCs, what? Card Reader? There is none!!!!!:D I'll pick one up...

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks all!

I appreciate your patience! :)

I'm composing the next installment! ;)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Glad you had a great time Tim, love the pics. Wish I had had the pleasure of meeting and collecting with Carmine when I was up there last month. Can't wait to see what's next.

On 7/11/2011 at 9:38 PM, sue in pa said:

Glad you had a great time Tim, love the pics. Wish I had had the pleasure of meeting and collecting with Carmine when I was up there last month. Can't wait to see what's next.

New installment is up.   :Smiling:  :D  ;)

It can be found HERE!

Regards,

:o sounds like you guys had fun! :D i was only 280 miles away from ya guys back then! you guys should have waited for me!!!! :unsure: nahh, just jokin. B) great finds!!! love the eldregeops.