Starting Out

Ronbo

I found these in the Cooper river, One complete sharks tooth and one that was busted, The thing on the right I was told is a Camels tooth...

HPIM0613.jpg

Yes Ron, that's how it starts and only gets better. Nice first finds!!!!! :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

I found these in the Cooper river, One complete sharks tooth and one that was busted, The thing on the right I was told is a Camels tooth...

HPIM0613.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Ronbo.

If you want to dive SC rivers, I imagine that the Cooper is the place to start. Some of the scariest diving I've experienced has been in SC rivers -- swift current, zero visibility, and big 'gatorsin narrow channels.

Think about traveling to Florida to dive our placid, gin-clear streams. We need those nawthun tourist dollars down here. LOL

Your mammal tooth appears to be an Artiodactyl, but I'm not convinced that it's from a camel. Here's a pic of a Lamin camel, Hemiauchenia, from Florida.

The pale color of your tooth (goat?) suggests that it has not been in the river very long. How about a close-up image?

----Harry Pristis

post-42-1191681944_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry I just got back from Florida but wasnt` able to do any hunting,had to get my cavern certs done,We went to Weeki Wachi Springs,the Eagles nest and the Blue Grotto,

We are planning another trip down there this winter got any good spots to dive and find stuff?

I thought that tooth was too pale too but The guy running the boat had some sharks teeth that were the same color or a little darker, I`ll get some more pics of it soon as I get my camera recharged and I`ll post them...

Ron

Glad you made it back to SC, Ron. There have been some tragic accidents in Blue Grotto.

You can browse this forum for Florida rivers to dive. Get your vertebrate fossil permit from the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville ($5.00). Leave the Indian artifacts on the bottom to avoid hassles from wildlife officers.

We'll look forward to seeing more pix! :)

----------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I will have to check on the permit...While we were at Weeki Wachi the guy there told us they find stuff in that spring and said they also find artifacts and such. He told us we could do some looking and keep what we find,but we didn`t have much time cause we were doing some exploring of them cool springs, I gotta say it was some kinda awsome,The vis was great and the water was sure clean....I`ll be back...for sure

Ron try this number (352) 392 - 1721 the area code changed from 904 to 352 so try that and maybe you can get the info you need. :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

Archived