stubee5

Silver Creek Summit Petrified Wood?

stubee5

i heard that there is petrified wood in silver creek summit, utah. i tried finding the site, but we didn't find anything. can anyone give me some tips and directions. what does the wood look like, what is its color?

stubee5

thanks, i have that book, but i found the directions rather confusing.

stonedman

I just picked a nice piece of petrified wood and a couple of o.k. pieces at the silver creek site, but it took 3 diffrent attempts to find the location. The book is a little off on the milage part of the directions. Once you turn on the dirt road, before the water treatment plant, stay left on the dirt road, following along the fence and once you come to the power lines park by the little wash below and look below the power lines in and on the hill of the wash. Or, you can park up by the power lines and walk down into the wash. I found a nice piece near the bottom, you have to really be looking hard but there is some petrified wood still out there. I want to do some digging next time I go to the silver creek site, I work up in the area most of the time and only live 25 minutes away.

stonedman

i heard that there is petrified wood in silver creek summit, utah. i tried finding the site, but we didn't find anything. can anyone give me some tips and directions. what does the wood look like, what is its color?

The good piece that I found actually looks like wood with some clear and yellow agate, cant wait to put it in the tumbler. The other pieces are not as pretty but i think they will polish nice. I am new to this forum and on computers, but when I have more time I will post some pictures of the petrified wood and some pictures of the silver creek site.

squalicorax

auspex's second link is a great resource for utah fossils and rockhounding

stubee5

are all the clear pieces of rock found at the locality, petrified wood??

stonedman

are all the clear pieces of rock found at the locality, petrified wood??

The clear rocks are probably jasper and agate. The petrified wood has jasper and agate in it, you might of just found broken off pieces, good place to start digging. The good stuff is a couple feet down. I occasionally stop at the site for 15 min. on my lunch breaks, if I'm working in the area, and find smaller pieces that have the brown swirls with yellow jasper and clear agate in it. Found some purple petrified wood that polished awsome, near Vernal/Flaming George area, good sized tree limb round pieces.

stubee5

how old is the wood??? what formation is it from?

Rocks Anne

Does anyone know if any of this is still current? I'm planning a trip out there in September.