Swirly Things

tracer

Great post: every time a member posts something I'm not familiar with, I go straight to Google and learn something. In this case, I learned that not all swirley things are snails; I'd have never guessed that your Ilymatogyra arietina are clams! Thanks :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My book has them listed as "Exogyra Laeviuscula"

I have a creek near my house that has huge oyster beds that have some nice stuff on them. I have chipped out a few big ones.

Edit: Sorry, now that I read everything that you wrote, I see you already knew what they were....

I've seen these oysters by the bajillions from Waco to Austin to San Antonio and out past Lake Amistad near the type locality. I must admit to having picked up a few myself including some of the "Rice Krispy Treat" slabs you speak of. I reached my limit on these things early but I'll still take them with pyrite like you mentioned.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

any pearls?

I havent found any pearls at that location, but I have some from a different formation in dallas. I really didnt even think to look for pearls there. Its been a while since I have been there.