Just When You Thought It Was Safe To...

tracer

WOW, really nice GW!!

you found all those on the beach there? I was thinking of taking the family down there sometime for a vacation, and now Im pretty sure we're coming. :D

I found a single tooth on Galveston beach the first time we visited, and I wasn't even sure it was fossilized. Looking at the color of some of yours, I'd say you've confirmed for me that it is.

Just a few miles down the coast, on Mustang Island, I had an extremely close call with a rather large shark, as I was jumping waves with my 6-year-old daughter on my shoulders. As we were wading out into the sea, we remarked that there were lots of bait fish jumping right out of the waves all around us. Being British, we didn't know what to think of this, and figured it was just a cool phenomenon ("I think the Texas water's too hot for them", said my daughter). Moments later I jumped a particularly large wave, and submersed myself in the opaque, muddy water, so that only my daughter's head was above water. As I stood back up, a 12" black-tipped shark fin passed just about 24" in front of my nose.

"Oh look daddy, a shark! Can I pet him? Please daddy, please!" said my daughter.

"Bloody hey!!!" shouted my wife, as she dragged my other daughter from the surf.

I was too shocked to say anything. :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Guest bmorefossil

i caught myself a shark in maryland once it was only about 2 feet long but it was a very cool catch!!!!, i came close when i was in florida, had myself a 9 foot thrasher on the line, but the thing jumped in the air and snapped the line on the landing

I found a single tooth on Galveston beach the first time we visited, and I wasn't even sure it was fossilized. Looking at the color of some of yours, I'd say you've confirmed for me that it is.

Just a few miles down the coast, on Mustang Island, I had an extremely close call with a rather large shark, as I was jumping waves with my 6-year-old daughter on my shoulders. As we were wading out into the sea, we remarked that there were lots of bait fish jumping right out of the waves all around us. Being British, we didn't know what to think of this, and figured it was just a cool phenomenon ("I think the Texas water's too hot for them", said my daughter). Moments later I jumped a particularly large wave, and submersed myself in the opaque, muddy water, so that only my daughter's head was above water. As I stood back up, a 12" black-tipped shark fin passed just about 24" in front of my nose.

"Oh look daddy, a shark! Can I pet him? Please daddy, please!" said my daughter.

"Bloody hey!!!" shouted my wife, as she dragged my other daughter from the surf.

black tips just nibble when they mistake you for a small bait fish, they don't like to eat humans.

of course you wouldn't like to be nibbled by one, but it makes for a great scar to show the ladies (seriously, when I see one while surfing I don't get out of the water)

Wow! In 28 years, I've only found two teeth in Galveston and they were only about 1/2" long. Maybe I'll go back this weekend.

The only time I get to Galveston is for the Feather Fest birding festival (as an exhibitor). I didn't make it this year, but if I can swing it next year, I'll schedule some beach time for sure!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cool teeth!

I've found about a half dozen small teeth over the past 4-5 years around Galveston, south of the sea wall, a couple at Surfside, but only one on the Bolivar Peninsula. All were less than a half inch.

I've definitely seen more Bull sharks that teeth. They tend to gobble vice nibble so watch your self if you feel like venturing past the first sand bar...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Cool teeth!

I've found about a half dozen small teeth over the past 4-5 years around Galveston, south of the sea wall, a couple at Surfside, but only one on the Bolivar Peninsula. All were less than a half inch.

I've definitely seen more Bull sharks that teeth. They tend to gobble vice nibble so watch your self if you feel like venturing past the first sand bar...

yah Bull shark = bad

Cool teeth!

Plenty of Blacktips and Hammerheads out there, too!

"Bloody heyl!!!" shouted my wife, as she dragged my other daughter from the surf.

Shady, I grew up a few miles from Surfside, on the Texas coast, and your story has me laughing! It reminded me of when my older cousin visited us from Missouri. It was a few months after Jaws opened at the theatre. He had never been to the coast, but made it clear that even a 20 year old could be terrified of sharks. Well, he was my ride to the beach that day. All was going well; we were checking out the scenery and tossing a frisbee in waist-deep water. Then, we were surrounded by a passing school of mullet that began to explode from the water! It could have been one of several predators...but I couldn't resist - "SHARK!" He had a religious phenomenon on the tops of the waves back to the beach. Me - I nearly drowned from laughter...that was until he started the car and began driving down the beach! I should've looked for fossils that day. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Shady, I grew up a few miles from Surfside, on the Texas coast, and your story has me laughing! It reminded me of when my older cousin visited us from Missouri. It was a few months after Jaws opened at the theatre. He had never been to the coast, but made it clear that even a 20 year old could be terrified of sharks. Well, he was my ride to the beach that day. All was going well; we were checking out the scenery and tossing a frisbee in waist-deep water. Then, we were surrounded by a passing school of mullet that began to explode from the water! It could have been one of several predators...but I couldn't resist - "SHARK!" He had a religious phenomenon on the tops of the waves back to the beach. Me - I nearly drowned from laughter...that was until he started the car and began driving down the beach! I should've looked for fossils that day. :D

you have people looking at me funny in the computer lab while I laugh at your story