Paleocene Bird Bone From Maryland.

PaleoRon

After seeing the post of the nice bird bone from Alabama I rooted around in some boxes and found my cast of a bird bone from the Paleocene Aquia formation in Maryland. The original is in the Smithsonian. I found the bone in situ while looking for coprolites for a researcher who was interested in examining the contents for post meal remains. The bone is from a Presbyornis, which I was told was an ancestor to the ducks, geese, and swans.

post-210-1216072349_thumb.jpg

post-210-1216072409_thumb.jpg

Yes, they did a really great job with the cast. The person who did it also did some teriffic illustrations. I think she did one of the shark tooth ID posters for the museum. You made a good find with the Al. bird bone. They're so fragile it's hard to find one intact.

They sure made it look real! Much larger than my Eocene bone, but interestingly similar.

Presbyornis was about the size and shape of a modern Whistling Duck; longer legged and longer necked than your typical Mallard. They did have a somewhat spatulate bill (not quite as wide as a Mallard) with a pretty strong upturn to it. They also had webbed feet. Skull structure shows that they had just started to diverge from the Stilt/Flamingo linneage.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Storrs notes on the paper that the one I found would have been about the size of a Demoiselle Crane. Unfortunately I have no idea how big that is. My bird knowledge doesn't extend much past the ones that are commonly consumed.

Storrs notes on the paper that the one I found would have been about the size of a Demoiselle Crane. Unfortunately I have no idea how big that is. My bird knowledge doesn't extend much past the ones that are commonly consumed.

Think "lanky duck".

post-423-1216136893_thumb.png

post-423-1216136914_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

nice bone ron! they did do a good job casting it...

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Well, I thought this rang a bell. I finally found the paper I have on this. Congratulations, Ron, on having a species named after you! :applause: (I should have made the connection as soon as I read the words "Aquia" and "Presbyornis" in the same sentence).

Guest bmorefossil
Well, I thought this rang a bell. I finally found the paper I have on this. Congratulations, Ron, on having a species named after you! :applause: (I should have made the connection as soon as I read the words "Aquia" and "Presbyornis" in the same sentence).

wow its named after you!!!! that is cool

I wasn't going to mention that part, but thanks. I guess you won't need one of the copies of the paper that I made today. I'm surprised you had it already. My newest finds are being worked on at the Calvert Marine Museum. Cetaceans this time.

Guest bmorefossil
I wasn't going to mention that part, but thanks. I guess you won't need one of the copies of the paper that I made today. I'm surprised you had it already. My newest finds are being worked on at the Calvert Marine Museum. Cetaceans this time.

i still need a copy (=

I'd love to have a copy; mine is an abstract. A lot of folks here would like to see it; you should post a link to download, if that's possible. Please keep us posted on the CMM research, too.

I didn't mean to embarass you by calling you out. The accomplishments of members like you and Bowkill lend tangible legitimacy to the whole Forum, which will be invaluable in gaining access to fossil sites (as Cris is trying to do).

Guest bmorefossil

ron you already did it when you found 60 megs, 2 over 6", 2 3" makos and other nice stuff on one day. i wish i was you!!!!!!!!

ron you already did it when you found 60 megs, 2 over 6", 2 3" makos and other nice stuff on one day. i wish i was you!!!!!!!!

No you don't. If you were me you would be going to school with people half your age and losing your hair.

I'd love to have a copy; mine is an abstract. A lot of folks here would like to see it; you should post a link to download, if that's possible. Please keep us posted on the CMM research, too.

I didn't mean to embarass you by calling you out. The accomplishments of members like you and Bowkill lend tangible legitimacy to the whole Forum, which will be invaluable in gaining access to fossil sites (as Cris is trying to do).

I'm not tech savvy enough to post the paper, but I'll send you a copy. Maybe you know someone who is link literate. ;) Send me your mailing address and I'll put a copy in the mail.