Sign in to follow this  
Philip Waters

Where To Go Near Farmington Nm

Philip Waters

I've never done any fossil collecting before but I recently took a geology class that got me intrested.

I'm up visiting some family in Farmington NM currently and was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere I could take my daughter to find some fossils?

jpc

The field notes lordpiney links to are really nice, but I don't think you want to take the kid out there to find fossils. It is all BLM and Indian Reservation land, and quite full of dinosaur bones. But it is illegal to collect dinos and other vertebrate fossil on BLM and Indian land. Maybe you knew this, maybe you didn't, but best to stick to legal fossil hunting places. And, sorry I can't help you there.

Philip Waters

Yah I'd rather not drag my 12 year old daughter into the seedy underworld of illegal fossil hunting. I can't imagine getting arrested or fined would be the best introduction.

MikeD

They'll seize your vehicle, also.

joe.bishop

Yah I'd rather not drag my 12 year old daughter into the seedy underworld of illegal fossil hunting. I can't imagine getting arrested or fined would be the best introduction.

There is a lot of nice petrified wood all around the Farmington are and is legal to pick up on BLM

PFOOLEY