Bird Bones

kauffy

Well i have these bones from the fissure material, Pleistocene of marion co FL. Im not sure if they are all bird but i think the wide majority must be. Im mainly looking for the name of the bone ie. Tarsometatarsal so i can at least put this to the bones name, if you have any ideas on type or species i definantly want that too! Any help would be awesome! :D

Regards!

post-142-1216093703_thumb.jpg

post-142-1216093721_thumb.jpg

post-142-1216093732_thumb.jpg

post-142-1216093750_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Nice mess of bones! I'll see what I can do...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

indeed!^^ :rolleyes: thanks a lot Auspex! :)

after some research i think that 2nd from the right (bone lot:1) is a fragmented scapula-coracoid and 3rd from the right (bone lot:2) is a tarsometatarsal maybe from a duck? what do you think about this Auspex?

Bone lot 1, first from the left: Coracoid???? im only new to this bone identifying, and apart from my guesses above the rest of these little things are completly unknown to me!

ok here are a few more types of bone....sorry Auspex i know there are a lot! but any little bit of info on any of them would be great!

Im not sure if these are all bird.....the pelvic looking ones all have the 'honeycomb' structure but the others dont seem to have it so im not sure if they are bird or not... Every pictures height is 5cm for a scale.

thanks!

post-142-1216097263_thumb.jpg

post-142-1216097279_thumb.jpg

post-142-1216097376_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok i was just looking over all these again today and im in a total mess, basically all im looking for is the name of the bones "femur, metatarsal' ect that i can put to each so I can put together my identification sheet for them.

If anyone knows any, even one name of one bone here your knowledge would be really appreciated!

Cheers

Chris :)

I know theres a lot already, but heres one of the nicest complete bones from the lot im still looking for an ID on.

Again Thanks for looking!

post-142-1221032792_thumb.jpg

ok here are a few more types of bone....sorry Auspex i know there are a lot! but any little bit of info on any of them would be great!

Im not sure if these are all bird.....the pelvic looking ones all have the 'honeycomb' structure but the others dont seem to have it so im not sure if they are bird or not... Every pictures height is 5cm for a scale.

thanks!

The bones in the middle are from a Cormorant Phalacrocorax sp. and the Tarsometatarus bone which also has that hole in it like your pic.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

thanks!

The first one looks like snake vertebrates.

The bones in the middle are from a Cormorant Phalacrocorax sp. and the Tarsometatarus bone which also has that hole in it like your pic.

Awesome, thanks a lot for that Identification, by the Tarsometatarus, do you mean in the first lot of pictures? that one? (3rd from the right?)

Thats really neat, i would have never thought of them being Cormorant.

As for the first picture, there not snake vertabreas, they are quite large (1cm) and flat, the other side is just a smooth surface. I can get close ups of anything shown if it would help in an identification.

Thanks again!

EDIT: reading over your responce again, you mean the bone in the middle picture far right is a Tarsometatarus?

Hey Kauffy. Dont listen to Auspex, he doesnt know anything! Ha!!! Im purdy sure that all those bones come from a little known animal called: Elongleggus being the Genus, and the species would be: birdusraptis. Ha!! Jesus im funny. I think Auspex will know instantly that im full of 'you know what'?

Good luck on getting these bones all figured out kauffy.

RB

Oh, I will be in your country in 5 more weeks. I still have that package we talked about for you and will be bringin it with me.

Being so knowledgable RB, im wondering what the phylum is that this genus comes under? Ronisfullofcoproliteous?

But thanks for the identification so far :rolleyes:

5 more weeks darn.....wasnt it one year.... about a year ago? oh wait.... that would make sense! haha

Awesome, thanks a lot for that Identification, by the Tarsometatarus, do you mean in the first lot of pictures? that one? (3rd from the right?)

As for the first picture, there not snake vertabreas, they are quite large (1cm) and flat, the other side is just a smooth surface. I can get close ups of anything shown if it would help in an identification.

Thanks again!

EDIT: reading over your responce again, you mean the bone in the middle picture far right is a Tarsometatarus?

This site will help you with the Tarsometatarus bone, youll see it on this paper.

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v112n03/p0762-p0767.pdf

thanks!

Also here is a site that will help you. Navigate the sites in blue for more detail.

Go to:

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Ichthyornis.html

Thanks again!

If you have the book Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophyte's Guide by Fank A. Kocsis Jr. it is a good book to id bones and teeth. Oh I think I gave you the wrong site for Tarsormetatarus but check it out anyway it is great.

great! i thought thats what you meant by the Tarso, i learn't a few things from those two links. Thanks!