Sign in to follow this  
woodardcoin

Pike County Alabama

woodardcoin

Has anyone ever heard of or collected at sites in Pike County Alabama ? I have been told by family of large deposits of shells there . I was told they are in great shape . I may take a ride to one sit I was told about over the weekend , but was curious if anyone here had been there or heard anything

JP

jkfoam

I never collected in Pike County, AL, but the Nanafalia Formation, lower Eocene is exposed in Pike County. L.D. Toumlin in "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region", Vol 1, Geological Survey of Alabama, Monograph 13, 1977, lists two fossil sites in the Nanafalia Formation in Pike County. One is 5 miles north of Henderson County, on Pike County 21, Hendreson-Troy Road. The other isPike County Road 3 in abandoned road bed on north side of paved road, 1.0 mile north of Henderson. Be advised that this is very old information.

JKFoam

richardfulton

Pike County had some large "underwater" iron ore mines many years ago when I was operating Alabama Paleontological Enterprises in the state. The ore is Paleocene and has to be dredged. The ore is then run from a crusher onto conveyor belts. The ore is full of echinoids and large nautiloid sections. In the end, I actually had the workers pulling the fossils off the belts and making piles of them until I get get back a collect the take. The echinoids were actually the commonest fossil in the deposit they were working. If you get there and get a load, I'd like to have some. My entire collection was destroyed in a building disaster in the 70s in Virginia.

Here is one I managed to pass on to my son and is in his collection from the site: http://cssvirginia.t...gitolampus.html

Edited by richardfulton

Beckyb

I would love to check it out