New Forum Calvert Cliffs Trip

Guest bmorefossil

Ok, I think it's probably time to get this thing organized. I got my van back from the shop, so I can again help with transportation if we need to shuttle from a meeting place to elsewhere.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Maybe it would be a good idea for everyone to meet at Brownies Beach. Enough parking and it is a good starting point for most.

Or Matoaka?

Guest bmorefossil
Maybe it would be a good idea for everyone to meet at Brownies Beach. Enough parking and it is a good starting point for most.

Or Matoaka?

well we met at matoaka and then went to the marina, now that we have you, you can get us to some different spots

well we met at matoaka and then went to the marina, now that we have you, you can get us to some different spots

I can get us into the ranch club but the other places I have permission it is only for me or museum folks. Did you take boats out last time you went?

we took a boat, other people with boats were having problems cough obsessed cough

Mandatory tune up the week before MD forum trip.

I went to the beach this morning. It really isn't that bad. The wind is coming much more from the North instead of East. It is causing erosion but once the storm system is gone it will be easily accessed by foot and boat.

Found a dugong rib and some ecphoras.

I'd say all you MD collectors should be set to collect early tomorrow. Just went to the beach, it is a couple hours after high tide, the water was still higher than normal but walkable and dead calm. Good chance of clear water and a lot to look at. Not much on the beach though, too much sand.

Hello all....I'm a new member to the site from SE PA. I'm very much interested in the Calvert Cliffs area and other spots along the Potomac. Is there anyone here that is planning a trip in Oct/Nov?

M

welcome to the forum, that seems to be the idea but we still don't have a date

You guys should pick a date close to the full or new moon. The pull on the tide is much greater at those times, but I'm sure you already knew that :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Thanks for the welcoming guys.....I'm interested in visiting the Cliffs and surrounding areas any time in Oct or Nov. If you need another for the trip, count me in!

M

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks for the welcoming guys.....I'm interested in visiting the Cliffs and surrounding areas any time in Oct or Nov. If you need another for the trip, count me in!

M

we can always use someone new, last trip we only had 9 people total so it will be nice to see some new faces

I just hope this trip isn't to close to Halloween (my other obsession). I still have lots of work to prepare my decorations.

The weekend of October 18th looks closest to the full moon. Would that work?

Tides for Plum Point starting with October 18, 2008.

Day High/Low Tide Time Height Ft Moon Time % Moon Vis.

Sat 18 Low 1:24 AM 0.4 Set 11:57 AM 87%

Sat 18 High 6:01 AM 1.0 Rise 9:09 PM

Sat 18 Low 11:51 AM 0.1

Sat 18 High 6:54 PM 1.7

Sun 19 Low 2:25 AM 0.4 Set 1:00 PM 78%

Sun 19 High 6:58 AM 0.9 Rise 10:17 PM

Sun 19 Low 12:47 PM 0.2

Sun 19 High 7:53 PM 1.6

the tide wont really be the problem, the problem would be if there are any storms, they can change stuff really fast

"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!