My First Australian Fossils

Auspex

The scope of my fossil bird collection has just broadened considerably, with the addition of two Australian specimens.

The first is a partial humerus from the late Miocene of Nuns Beach, Portland, Victoria. It was recovered from a clay lens within the Port Campbell Limestone. It is from a Giant Penguin, almost certainly of the genus Pseudaptenodytes, with the likely species being P. macraei. The fossil is 2.16" (5.4 cm).

The second fossil is from the middle Miocene of Alcoota Station, Northern Territory, and it is from a really big bird: Dromornis stirtoni ("Stirton's Thunderbird"). At 10 feet tall and 1,100 lbs., it must have been quite a sight! The fossil is an incomplete toe bone, measuring 2" (5 cm).

Happy Birthday to Me!

post-423-1216319825_thumb.jpg

post-423-1216319842_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Penguin fossils....Now there's something that I never even thought of.... And a 1,100 pound bird...Now that is scary!

Very nice fossils Auspex. I have some Australian fossils as well, but I have to dig them up(lame pun intended :P) from my cabinets.

I went to Australia last Summer with People to People International:Student Ambassadors. Here is the link http://www.ptpi.org/

I went to the Kronosaurus Korner while I was there, and we were allowed to fossil at one of the local pits. I found two shark teeth there that I still have yet to identify. They were rare, only two people found any good fossils. The rest were shells and other stuff.

I might have it here with me, I'll try and look for it now. If not, and it is most likely at my grandmother's house, I will not be able to get it for about another 2 weeks, until I see her again.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

... I went to Australia last Summer with People to People International:Student Ambassadors. ...I went to the Kronosaurus Korner while I was there, and we were allowed to fossil at one of the local pits.

That must have been pretty cool! I've always wanted to get "down under"; maybe someday Kauffy and I can go dig our own Dromornis.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That must have been pretty cool! I've always wanted to get "down under"; maybe someday Kauffy and I can go dig our own Dromornis.

I'm all for it. I call the shark teeth though ;)

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

You bought yourself some very nice birthday gifts! :D

Glad you posted, as I rarely see many fossil bird bones..

Welcome to the forum!

...the 2 inch toe bone really catches my eye, is it hallow?

Except for the bones directly involved with respiration, this beast didn't need hollow bones; it was beyond flightless, with only vestigial wing bones. To call it "sturdy" is a bit of an understatement. It's lifestyle is controversial, but one camp likens it to that of a smallish T-Rex.

good greif! those are some nice fossils! I really want to get down to Victoria and search out those early limestones, im sure there are so many amazing fossils like your penguin just waiting to be found....and as for hunting for some Thunder, im up for it! new fossil forum trip to Australia?! :P

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• 4 weeks later...

Those are really the cats meow B) I think having a fossil penguin bone is going to go on my list of "I want".

Going to Auastralia is cheaper than you may think.I have been to Australia 3 times in the last 8 years,the most expensive being $1200 2 years ago.The key is to go on as a junket/group.The money paid airfare and lodging and dig fees.Each time I went was on a "Gem Safari" with a plane load people.We did get to dig opal and hunt diamonds and rubies,and its worth putting up with so many others.

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

Penguin fossils....Now there's something that I never even thought of....

Here's one I'd really, really like to have! It's in the collection of a gentleman in France (along with other wonderous things):

post-423-1218843129_thumb.jpg