glacialerratic

Looking For Sites In S. In.

glacialerratic

Hi folks,

I'm heading down to Louisville, KY., the coming weekend. I have 2 days to hunt, Fri. and Sun.

I've been reading journal papers and researching on the net, and have several of the better known sites on my list, but I would appreciate any tips, advice, or locations that anyone would like to share.

Thanks,

Tim

pleecan

Good luck on the hunt Tim!

PL

JimB88

heres something to watch out for: do to several incidents, law-enforcement in Indiana back in 09' began citing people whom they found collecting at road cuts. Others were attempting to push legislation to make it legal within reason, so check to make sure if thats a possibility or not at this point. Dont want to see you getting a ticket.

glacialerratic

Thanks Peter & Jim.

I recall hearing about that law....

The only thing I could turn up regarding fossil hunting in Indiana was a DNR website:

Falls of the Ohio

This site gives road-cut locations for hunting, so apparently it is still okay.

Herb

according to the Indiana State Police unless you are on the Interstate or "excavating" the hillside , like some collectors in the Bloomington area heve done, they have better things to do with their time than to bother collectors.

AgrilusHunter

according to the Indiana State Police unless you are on the Interstate or "excavating" the hillside , like some collectors in the Bloomington area heve done, they have better things to do with their time than to bother collectors.

I've been told similar things from police. Be aware though it is illegal to collect along many roadways in Indiana (because of people 'excavating' the hillsides) so be careful about where you go. State properties in particular you need to have a permit to collect on. Best of luck.

squalicorax

Hi Michigan Tim, I know a good Mississippian site in Indiana and also an Ordovician site closer to Cincinnati if you are interested, and its not one to miss. Please send me a pm.

just relized the date...

Herb is right, the cops just dont want you digging or excavating on the roadcuts, surface collecting is allowed.

Edited by squalicorax

glacialerratic

Thanks, Squalicorax!!! Next time I'm planning a trip to the area, I will ask your advice!

squalicorax

Im going to a southeastern indiana road cut on saturday!

glacialerratic

Lucky dog!

Is it a new one? Silurian or Ord.?

Happy hunting & let us know how it goes!

trilobitten

I'm not sure if this thread is still going, but if you're ever near Hanover, Indiana, stop in and speak with Heyo Van Iten in the geology department. He's usually pretty good about helping to identify nearby collection sites. Just be sure to tell him Zach sent you. Also, while you're there, check out our Ordovician of Iowa fossil collection, although at this point I'm sure many of them have been reposited at the Cincinatti Museum Center. Lastly, if you can find a place known as Tunnel Mills at the town of North Vernon, Indiana, there is a really nice exposure of the Waldron shale which yields some very nice trilobites. Cheers.

glacialerratic

Thanks for the tips, trilobitten! I'm dying to get back down there!!!