The Jade (Golden?) Dragon

Sinopaleus

hey guys. ok... so the recent crash deleted my huge write up and everything everyone said in the thread. oh well, i guess ill just have to start out from scratch again! :blush:

alright, so here is a complete mixosaurid ichthyosaur Mixosaurus panxianensis from the eastern border of Yunnan province, China. many mixosaurid ichthyosaurs have been discovered in the neighboring province, Guizhou. a site where this ichthyosaur wasn't found in is called Panxian, albeit it is 300 km away to the east from where this guy was discovered. i'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but there is an interesting relationship going on with the jugal and the quadratojugal of this mixosaur. they lack external contact. I previously thought that this mixosaur was a Barracudasaurus maotaiensis, redescribed from Mixosaurus maotaiensis, but the mandible was a lot more broad than the mandibles seen in those of B. maotianensis. the eye sockets are oval and large, but not as big as barracudasaurs. i think you can also see the scapula in the right fore fin photo, but the coracoid is missing. it is very probable that the two unidentified bones beside the radius are broken pieces of the coracoid. the coracoid is not completely seen on the surface, as some broken pieces might still be buried in the matrix. although part of the tail vertebrae has been touched up, it is obvious that the remaining fossil mixosaur is authentic. rare in china's case! :o

the mixosaur has been polished, excluding the main body. polished bones could be seen as paint like streaks. the mixosaur is 1.2 meters long. with the matrix and the holder, it would be around 1.5 meters. it takes up a lot of space to tell the truth

enjoy! ;)

post-4996-0-80337400-1312853040.jpg

post-4996-0-97494500-1312853070.jpg

post-4996-0-56913400-1312853103.jpg

hey guys. ok... so the recent crash deleted my huge write up and everything everyone said in the thread. oh well, i guess ill just have to start out from scratch again! :blush:

alright, so here is a complete mixosaurid ichthyosaur Mixosaurus panxianensis from the eastern border of Yunnan province, China. many mixosaurid ichthyosaurs have been discovered in the neighboring province, Guizhou. a site where this ichthyosaur wasn't found in is called Panxian, albeit it is 300 km away to the east from where this guy was discovered. i'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but there is an interesting relationship going on with the jugal and the quadratojugal of this mixosaur. they lack external contact. I previously thought that this mixosaur was a Barracudasaurus maotaiensis, redescribed from Mixosaurus maotaiensis, but the mandible was a lot more broad than the mandibles seen in those of B. maotianensis. the eye sockets are oval and large, but not as big as barracudasaurs. i think you can also see the scapula in the right fore fin photo, but the coracoid is missing. it is very probable that the two unidentified bones beside the radius are broken pieces of the coracoid. the coracoid is not completely seen on the surface, as some broken pieces might still be buried in the matrix. although part of the tail vertebrae has been touched up, it is obvious that the remaining fossil mixosaur is authentic. rare in china's case! :o

the mixosaur has been polished, excluding the main body. polished bones could be seen as paint like streaks. the mixosaur is 1.2 meters long. with the matrix and the holder, it would be around 1.5 meters. it takes up a lot of space to tell the truth

enjoy! ;)

Have to repeat.

This, my friend, is THE ADDITION to your important collection. Actually gorgeous :wub: :wub: :wub:

What a great confirmation to your announcement...:rolleyes:

Congratulations on this superb acquisition :goodjob:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

astrinos, scott, thanks! ^_^

the photo was turned grey because i needed it for my diagnosed report. it's completely typed up, just need to turn it into a PDF file. its not in the format and style of articles seen in the JVP though B)

Edited by fossil maniac