Fossil Finds In Round Rock

Megalodon1

I went on my very first shark tooth hunting trip this Thursday. My buddy found one little shark tooth which he let me have, and I found a couple of other cool things! Would you guys be able to tell me the exact species of my finds please?

post-319-1216577010_thumb.jpg

post-319-1216578104_thumb.jpg

The pic is a little fuzzy, not that razor-sharp would help me, but others in position to ID your finds might need it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am really curious what that little brown thing is, it measures at around half an inch. My pics did not come out as clearly as I would like, but the texture is covered with small/little round bumps.

If you are using a point and shoot digital camera, I suggest you use the "digital macro" function. for most of these cameras, there is a selector that toggles between this and "infinity". The digital macro is characterized by a tulip and "infinity" is characterized by a jagged mountain range.

Doing this will tell your camera that it is focusing on something close up (like a flower, hence the tulip) and it will automatically take much better close up pictures.

An additional suggestion that helps most people is to leave the flash on to improve the light conditions, but tape a piece of white paper over the flash so that it doesn't over power the image washing things out.

The two on the right look like pyritized Neithea of some sort. The little brown thing looks like a weathered pyrite or limonite nodule. Have you been wandering in the Austin Chalk? ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Your tooth looks like it came from the crow shark Squalicorax falcatus. In the area you hunted it is most common in the Eagle Ford group, and alternating sequence of gray shale with limetone stringers. The tooth looks a little light in color though for that formation as most are nearly black. The pyritized Neithea comes from the Georgetown formation. I love the pyritized stuff from that area. Did the tooth come from the same site? I'm not certain whether S. falcatus ranged back into the older Kgt sediments.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 1 month later...