A Bird Bone From Mil, The Netherlands

Auspex

Our distinguished gentleman Martijn most generously sent me a box of bird bones which he had collected at Mil. I was terribly busy on all fronts, and so only looked them over briefly on their arrival. Meanwhile, PaleoRon sent me a copy of the paper on his P. isoni bird bone, which I read through quickly and set aside for later delictation. It was not until I got the bones out for a closer look that the bells went off: in Ron's paper was an illustration of an odd bone that was very similar to one of the Mil bones! It is pictured here atop the illustration, which is described as "phalanx 1 of the major alar digit" of Presbyornis pervetus. The new bone is intermediate in size between those of the two named species of Presbyornis, and deserves further study.

post-423-1216581331_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thats awesome! who would have known, i guess it was just meant to happen!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

thats awesome! who would have known, i guess it was just meant to happen!

It might wind up being a wild paleogoose chase, but it is just the sort of thing that gets me going on the research!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

hey auspex this looks a little like the bone that michael found from the cliffs, what do you think?

hey auspex this looks a little like the bone that michael found from the cliffs, what do you think?

The one he posted that I saw has tooth sockets. It's been 60 million years since there were any true toothed birds.

Guest bmorefossil
The one he posted that I saw has tooth sockets. It's been 60 million years since there were any true toothed birds.

i figured they could be quil knobs or something, if not i guess its just a fish jaw

what about geese i know they have teeth i've felt them.

Guest bmorefossil

i dont know if you can find them at calvert cliffs, ill look it up

Those are "lamellae", overlapping ridgelike structures of the bill. There are Pelagornis fossils from Calvert; it was a "false-toothed" bird, with a serrated bill. Still, getting goosed by Hesperornis would have been a somewhat more intense sensation.