Fossil Fly & Fish Scale

piranha

Here is an unusual association fossil from the Eocene Klondike Formation of Republic, Washington. I have not been able to find a paper on Klondike insects and have just placed it generically within Diptera (Bibionidae). It appears to be very reminiscent of Plecia sp. (March Fly) from the various Green River insect localities but I have never been 100% certain and would appreciate anyone who can point me to the correct reference. Bonus points if the fish scale gets an ID. Thanks for looking! :D

The scale for the scale is 1cm. :o:P

post-4301-0-94133600-1313183704_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Interesting association. One must have been food for the other. The fly does look like a March Fly but I'm no expert so don't quote me on that.. It also occurs at McAbee.

Nice one Scott,

that's a very cool association with the two march flies and a fish scale to boot! Now you don't see that every day!!!!!

I'll see if I can find anything about Bibionids in my reference collection. I'm told by John Leahy (jbswake) that there are possibly twenty or more species of march flies preserved at McAbee, but not much has been written about them! Your specimens sure look like the stuff we find up here in the Allenby Formation and is a dead ringer for material from Driftwood Canyon near Smithers, BC.

Dan

Wow Scott! Neat fossil combination... reminds me of the fossils from Brazil Crato Formation.... very nice.

PL

Scott.... Its a beauty, it really is...I have fishscale and plant lol but no insect material...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 7 years later...