Vampires Found In West Virginia

MarkGelbart

Scientists found 4 vampire bat bones (Desmodus stocki) in New Trout Cave, West Virginia and they radiocarbon dated to 29,000 years B.P.

This is pretty close to the glacier. Modern vampire bats are tropical creatures unable to withstand temperatures below 50 degrees.

The scientists speculate that despite the glacier, winters may have been milder during the ice age. They also think the larger size is indicative of an adapatation to colder weather.

I hypothesize that they could have migrated north during the summer.

Previously, Pleistocene vampire bat specimens had only been reported from Florida. This is a big range extension.

Very interesting.

Cave finds are great but then again you have to dig through all the guano. Ugh.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest solius symbiosus

Pretty neat. That time frame corresponds to one of the significant minima of the Wisconsin(Würm for our European friends) ice sheets.

Guest Nicholas

I tend to love bat fossils, this seems to me like a significant find. I'll do some more digging into it.

• 8 months later...
Scientists found 4 vampire bat bones (Desmodus stocki) in New Trout Cave, West Virginia and they radiocarbon dated to 29,000 years B.P.

This is pretty close to the glacier. Modern vampire bats are tropical creatures unable to withstand temperatures below 50 degrees.

The scientists speculate that despite the glacier, winters may have been milder during the ice age. They also think the larger size is indicative of an adapatation to colder weather.

I hypothesize that they could have migrated north during the summer.

Previously, Pleistocene vampire bat specimens had only been reported from Florida. This is a big range extension.

Pleistocene vampire bat bones have also been reported from Potter Creek Cave, California (Hutchison, 1967) and I think I saw an article on a find from Virginia a few years ago.

In case you're interested:

Hutchison, J.H. 1967.

A Pleistocene Vampire Bat (Desmodus stocki) from Potter Creek Cave, Shasta County, California. PaleoBios. No. 3. July 15, 1967.

• 5 months later...

Thanks.

I will check it out.

There are two paragraphs regarding vampire bats within a section on bats within this article:

Morgan, G.S. 2008.

Vertebrate Fauna and Geochronology of the Great American Biotic Interchange in North America. In "Neogene Mammals" Lucas, S.G., G.S. Morgan, J.A. Spielmann, and D.R. Prothero (eds.). New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 44.

The paragraphs note occurrences in several states in the U.S. and Mexico plus sites in Central and South America.

Edited by siteseer

• 2 weeks later...

There are two paragraphs regarding vampire bats within a section on bats within this article:

Morgan, G.S. 2008.

Vertebrate Fauna and Geochronology of the Great American Biotic Interchange in North America. In "Neogene Mammals" Lucas, S.G., G.S. Morgan, J.A. Spielmann, and D.R. Prothero (eds.). New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 44.

The paragraphs note occurrences in several states in the U.S. and Mexico plus sites in Central and South America.

Thanks Again, I'll check this out too.