Books

missmary49

i was wondering what your fave informational/photo fossil books are?

and even a stray from fossils, are there any 'dinosaur' encyclopedias you would reccomend?

I picked up Audubon Society's field guide to fossils--its got tons of pics to help identify fossils. I also picked up the following two to help me get started, Discovering Fosils and Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic states (I don't think this will help you since you live out west). Checkout some librarys (Its free) to see what they have before buying, thats what I did now I have three more books to add to my purchase list. Good luck.

Guest solius symbiosus

^Not a bad one. Simon and Schuster also publish one, but I don't think it is as good as The Audubon Society's Guide. Probably, the best non specific publication, for inverts anyway, is Shimer's "Index Fossils Of North America".

I picked up Audubon Society's field guide to fossils--its got tons of pics to help identify fossils. I also picked up the following two to help me get started, Discovering Fosils and Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic states (I don't think this will help you since you live out west). Checkout some librarys (Its free) to see what they have before buying, thats what I did now I have three more books to add to my purchase list. Good luck.

i picked up that one as well, the field guide. very nice collection of books! i think id like to have the whole set :) i went to the library, but some of the books arent quite what im looking for. also hard to find a library that is uptodate so to speak with whats avail on the market. but a good spot none the less.

Guest solius symbiosus

^Try you local University library. Look in the 550s and 560s section. Most Universities will allow one to peruse their collection, but that person will, probably, not be allowed to "check" the book out.

Though, after the librarian has got to know me, I have been allowed to leave with what I wanted.

^Try you local University library. Look in the 550s and 560s section. Most Universities will allow one to peruse their collection, but that person will, probably, not be allowed to "check" the book out.

Though, after the librarian has got to know me, I have been allowed to leave with what I wanted.

Good advice except University libraries don't do Dewey, they do LoC.

Check QE701 through QE996.5 at the University Library.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

and even a stray from fossils, are there any 'dinosaur' encyclopedias you would reccomend?

I have three books that I really like that are just on dinosaurs.

Predatory Dinosaurs of the World: A Complete Illustrated Guide by Gregory S. Paul. Sadly it is out of print but there are multiple copies for sale here.

Dinosaurs: The Textbook by Spencer George Lucas. I took a class on dinosaurs in college and this was the textbook. It is excellent.

Prehistoric Flying Reptiles by ummmm....I'm going to have to check. OK, true they're not dinosaurs but I'm sure you don't mind. Chock full of information and illustrations.

Guest solius symbiosus
Good advice except University libraries don't do Dewey, they do LoC.

Check QE701 through QE996.5 at the University Library.

The one near me uses both systems.

WOW, been a mamber for two days and already have something to contribute. I recently purchased a book I highly reccomend. "North America through time" by Lynne M Clos. Available at www.fossilnews.com , I ordered mine Saturday aftrnoon and had it in my hand, autographed, Monday afternoon. Each chapter is a seperate time period starting at the Cambrian, shows a map of North Americas global position at that time and a diarama of what it looked like. Excellent photography, where to find fossils for that period etc.

The one near me uses both systems.

That's good. I understand that they'd be cross referenced but how are they shelved?

I'm curious partly because my home library has reached the size that a classification & shelving scheme are needed.

Guest solius symbiosus

I grew up using Dewey, so I never really paid attention to LC, but the aisles had both systems labeled on the shelves.

WOW, been a mamber for two days and already have something to contribute. I recently purchased a book I highly reccomend. "North America through time" by Lynne M Clos. Available at www.fossilnews.com , I ordered mine Saturday aftrnoon and had it in my hand, autographed, Monday afternoon. Each chapter is a seperate time period starting at the Cambrian, shows a map of North Americas global position at that time and a diarama of what it looked like. Excellent photography, where to find fossils for that period etc.

You've just shaken me off the fence about getting this book: Thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'd also steer folks to the Fossil Literature portion of the Forum where lots of literature is discussed.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

I have 3 books that I use very often is...

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils

The Complete Encyclopedia of Fossils

Fossils by Richard Moody

Other good book that I enjoy to read is

Fossils for Amateurs by MacFall and Wollin

Library is good place to look for more information! Also check your Washington State internet about geology that you able to know the age of rocks where you look for fossils and they might help you to good place to look for fossils.

If I can not figure out what is the fossil I found then I will post the picture and where I find it into this The Fossil Forum!

As for a dinosaur encyclopedia, I have "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs" by Dr. David Norman (Salamander books 1985).

It's kind of old and so I'm sure many of the details need updating, but it is extremely well illustrated and gives an excellent introduction to the subject. It also describes in quite a bit of detail each type of dinosaur.

I have sevral good books on dinosaurs and fossils... here's a couple that i would recommend:

dynamics of dinosaurs and other extinct giants by Mcneil alexander - talks about animal movement

dinosaurs, spitfires and sea dragons by christpher mcGowan - excellent book on all groups of extinct reptiles

there other good ones but there are on more specific subjects.

as for the dino encyclopedias...i got the complete dinosaur by james farlow...it's not bad..

• 3 weeks later...

its a book by a company called phillips i think its called a guide to fossils im not sure who its written by.

it lists some of the major groups of fossils and some of the varietys found within the groups in the front of the book it has this very usefull fossil classification key its also got some good info on evolution and a set of maps in the back listing some of the worlds more famous sites

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

i was wondering what your fave informational/photo fossil books are?

My favorite dinosaur encyclopedia's is "Dinosaurs the most complete, up to date encyclopedia for dinosaur lovers of all ages". Highly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bittersweet weekend. Took my daughter ( the love of my life) to begin her college career at Penn State. Proud would be an understatement.

While I was there, for two days, we wandered the campus and local town. I've never been on a college campus before. Saw a sign," used books" to make a long story short, $300.00 dollars and two hours later my wife and daughter had to drag me and my 40 lbs of purchases out of there. Kind of cute though, got to the counter to check out and the girl looked at me and said, "Geo/Science major? I'm soon to be 56. Had to laugh.

If you have such a store near by, pay it a visit. It is an absolute treasure trove of great books. Not cheap but wow, everything and anything on the Geo/Paleo science topics. Gotta get back to reading, bye.

Two books trhat I believe are absolutely essential for the invertebrate fossil collector are "Index Fossils of North America" by Shimer and Shrock, and "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer. Also purchase every volume of the"Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology" you can afford.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Guest solius symbiosus
..."Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer.

Wow! I just found a copy on Amazon for $15.00 US. I had to "pull the trigger" on that deal.

"Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer.

Though now somewhat dated, it's priceless.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Anyone interested in very early fossils, Pre-Cambrian to Cambrian, I've found a great book. "World's Oldest Fossils" by Bruce L. Stinchcomb, published by Schiffer. Great photography, easier to read than most like it. Just glanced thru it again, really great photos.