Sign in to follow this  
curiousfinds

Fossilized Pottery Shard With Lithics - Help?

curiousfinds

I found this pottery shard on the beach. (North of San Francisco, California).

It is fossilized, and after taking a picture of it, something had me turn the picture into a negative.

Tah-dah - there is the writing.

Can anyone help me know the history, or meaning, of this ancient piece of history?

I would so love to know any of what the ancients had to say.

Thank you in advance.

post-5430-0-06231900-1313905789_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-41290300-1313905829_thumb.jpg

Wendell Ricketts

First, as far as I know, there is no such thing as "fossilized" pottery. Given that you found the piece on the beach, I'd say the age was a wild guess at best -- I suppose it could arguably be "native" in origin, but if it's been beat around by sand and waves for a time, even something from the early 20th century could begin to look ancient. That said, and also as far as I know, no indigenous North American tribe had a written language. Even if there were such a thing, it's logically difficult to understand -- if you argue that your piece is a pottery shard -- why anyone would have written words on a pot or other vessel. What you are calling writing strikes me as the faint remnants of what appears to be a geometric design (on the right) coupled with the effects of uneven wearing away of the glaze or color (most of the piece, but especially the left). Best, W.

tracer

your find has nothing to do with fossils. it also looks nothing like the pottery sherds i've seen. so not sure what the "ancients" are trying to tell you. and "lithics" means stone analysis. if you meant glyphs or something, i don't see any.

Sharkbyte

Hello Curiousfinds. It looks like some form of building or construction material. Now having said that, it could still be somewhat old. I also appreciate the value of having something in the hand to examine versus looking at pictures. Meaning that, you get a better opinion of what it might be better than I do. I always enjoy peoples postings though so thanks for sharing.

There is a particular beach in my area that slate roofing shingle shards wash up on the surf fairly frequently) The first shard I found had a nail hole near the top and I just knew I had found an indian necklace or gorget but after walking the beach and finding a few more, it didn't take me long to realize they were slate shingle fragments. Every time I go there I find some.

By the way, welcome to the Forum from North Carolina.

Edited by Sharkbyte

JohnJ

As others have mentioned - not "fossilized", not a "lithic", and not a "pottery shard". I agree it strongly resembles a worn piece of construction debris. The parallel impressions suggest a chunk of mortar or grout that was under some kind of tile. :)

ghost1066

First, as far as I know, there is no such thing as "fossilized" pottery. Given that you found the piece on the beach, I'd say the age was a wild guess at best -- I suppose it could arguably be "native" in origin, but if it's been beat around by sand and waves for a time, even something from the early 20th century could begin to look ancient. That said, and also as far as I know, no indigenous North American tribe had a written language. Even if there were such a thing, it's logically difficult to understand -- if you argue that your piece is a pottery shard -- why anyone would have written words on a pot or other vessel. What you are calling writing strikes me as the faint remnants of what appears to be a geometric design (on the right) coupled with the effects of uneven wearing away of the glaze or color (most of the piece, but especially the left). Best, W.

You might look into the Cherokee. They did have a written language which is still in use today. While writing on pottery is not common it is also not unheard of. But patterns are the norm. I don't know of any Native pottery with writing having been found but I could be wrong.

ashcraft

The biggest problem with it being a native american artifact is that it looks glazed. I don't think the Older Americans ever got that far.

Brent Ashcraft

JohnJ

Curious if you would post a photo of the other side?

;)

Mad Man Marbles

Based on pictures so far, I would go with building deris as well. Looking at the shadow cast in your second picture, the piece looks too thick for a pottery piece. I'm thinking a piece of concrete from a bulding that had a painted sign on the outside of the building. Pics of back side might rule this out though..

Neat item anyway..

Joe

Edited by Mad Man Marbles

Sinopaleus

hmm. it is indeed too thick to belong to any sort of pottery. and alsooo... i think ya need to add the letter "r" in a particular word in the title... :P

Edited by fossil maniac

Sharkbyte

hmm. it is indeed too thick to belong to any sort of pottery. and alsooo... i think ya need to add the letter "r" in a particular word in the title... :P

Good catch there. :rofl: :lol:

ashcraft

Hmmm,reading again and looking at the photo...he very well could have mean potty, it does sort of resemble bathroom tile....

Brent Ashcraft

davehunt

If you look closely you'll see very uniform parallel impressions in the surface, possibly even a grid pattern. This says "modern" material to me.

Dave

Scylla

Great pick up Henry :lol:

Cherokee had and have a written language that was invented in historic times by a great man named Coast Redwood or something similar :P

So to find a precolumbian written language you need to go to the Yucatan and the Mayas. I think also Aztecs. So at the southern limits of North America there were some writings. But this artifact seems much newer than that, sorry.

davehunt

That grid pattern has been bugging me...know I've seen it before...

Pretty sure it's the backside (the grout side) of a flooring tile - fitting in nicely with other "construction debris" theories.

Sharkbyte

Yes, it looks exactly like grout grooves and resembles the old style Asbestos of slate type siding and most all of that material would have been imprinted with some words on the back and no doubt by now would be almost worn away.