Empty Shark Teeth

pangeaman

hello all,

i find a lot of empty shark teeth, they have no filling. mostly they are brown but sometimes they are black.

can somebody tell me why they are empty?

here is a link from Northern Sharks with a similar tooth, he says that the root is never developed, but why?

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/102-carcharocles-megalodon-enamel-shell/

best regards Pangeaman

thats really weird, never seen an empty tooth before, hope someone knows how that happens cause Id sure like to know

A shark possesses several rows of teeth in its jaw. Only 3 or 4 orderly first ones serve to catch its preys. Other rows are in fact the teeth which are in preparation. The root is the last part of a tooth which makes.

I prepare myself jaws of current sharks, and I was able to see teeth as that shown on the image. This tooth is hollow because it was not totally formed. In the jaw, it was situated in one of the last rows of teeth.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

A shark possesses several rows of teeth in its jaw. Only 3 or 4 orderly first ones serve to catch its preys. Other rows are in fact the teeth which are in preparation. The root is the last part of a tooth which makes.

I prepare myself jaws of current sharks, and I was able to see teeth as that shown on the image. This tooth is hollow because it was not totally formed. In the jaw, it was situated in one of the last rows of teeth.

Coco

hello Coco,

if i understand it right, the root is complete , when the tooth is in the front row, ready to catch its prey. only than you will have a tooth with a complete root.

regards Pangeaman

The enamel shell forms first, and the root forms after. Depending where the tooth is in a particular file, it could have a full root, partial/undeveloped root or no root.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

i once found a lens of hollow teeth of various sizes along with phosphatic bivalve and gastropod molds, rolled baculites, occasional ammonites at the contact of the austin and pecan gap chalks north of san antonio (campanian) and assumed some sort of preferential chemistry dissolving roots and pulp but not enamel

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

cool! is this true of all shark species? Im only asking because here in NJ Ive found several thousand teeth over the past 12 years and Ive never found a hollow tooth before, but Id sure like to add one to my collection :)

If the tooth is hollow more than likely the shark was probably dead. If you find numerous hollow teeth at the same location. Perhaps these are teeth from the same shark. Would be incredible to find an entire set of teeth like this.

They have found Meg teeth in the Mariana trench that are hollow during dredging unfathomable depths during the Challenger expedition.

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was some way for us to visit the 38,000ft depths and see if there may indeed be a complete Meg.. One that wasn't alive.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

cool! is this true of all shark species? Im only asking because here in NJ Ive found several thousand teeth over the past 12 years and Ive never found a hollow tooth before, but Id sure like to add one to my collection :)

They're here. I find them somewhat frequently, though I never really keep them. If you'd like, I'll grab some for you as I find them.

Edited by Darwin Ahoy

Hello Pangeaman,

I made a posting earlier this year on this subject and I had quite a few helpfull replies. I am attempting to post a link to my earlier posting. Hope it works. If note go through my postings until you run across the topic with the same name. Have a good day.

Bobby

Poor State Of Fossilation Or Preservation Of Sharkteeth

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

I guess I don't know how to attach a link to my earlier posting but if I figure it out I will attach it. It had a lot of good feedback from other members. In a nut shell though, some teeth just don't receive the special treetment they need to become quality fossils but the enamel was durable enough to still keep them around for us to enjoy. I wish now I had kept some of the hollow great white teeth I found but they were so fragile they just crumbled in my back pack.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

They're here. I find them somewhat frequently, though I never really keep them. If you'd like, I'll grab some for you as I find them.

Thanks Darwin, Id appreciate that, always great to get something that I dont have an example of for my collection :)

Hello Vordigern,

here are two hollow shark teeth that i've found .

regards Pangeaman

post-6646-0-53496900-1314206415_thumb.jpg

post-6646-0-07923900-1314206427_thumb.jpg

I guess I don't know how to attach a link to my earlier posting but if I figure it out I will attach it. It had a lot of good feedback from other members. In a nut shell though, some teeth just don't receive the special treetment they need to become quality fossils but the enamel was durable enough to still keep them around for us to enjoy. I wish now I had kept some of the hollow great white teeth I found but they were so fragile they just crumbled in my back pack.

i've found the link,

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/22131-poor-state-of-fossilation-or-preservation-of-sharkteeth/page__p__243695__hl__sharkbyte__fromsearch__1#entry243695

regards Pangeaman

I have found "hollow" shark tooth specimens of Mako, Megalodon, large sandtiger, tiger, and hemipristis sharks. I don't think I've ever found a hollow specimen for any of the smaller teeth such as carcharhinus, angel shark, thresher, lemon, small sandtiger, etc.

3 ways you can get a hollow tooth:

Chemical dissolution of the non-enamel sections

A replacement tooth from a dead shark (look for other teeth in the immediate area as there may be a dentition)

Sometime the blade simply pulls off the root (not uncommon with smaller teeth) and some shark species have mostly pulp below the enamel which fossilizes poorly.

hello Coco,

if i understand it right, the root is complete , when the tooth is in the front row, ready to catch its prey. only than you will have a tooth with a complete root.

regards Pangeaman

Not exactly. In the case of a shark who would have 7 rows of teeth, only the teeth of 3th or 4th first rows will been completely made and solid. The more we look at rows towards the back, and the less roots exist. In the last row, teeth are so soft as even the enamel is not solid. In my opinion, these teeth don't even fossilize.

On the skates/rays, which have more often flat teeth, it is the same phenomenon. Their back teeth are so flexible as they are flat as a paper.

But Paleoc has just given the other interesting explanations.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sometimes I've picked up such hollow teeth and accidentally crushed them. I've always assumed the remainder of the tooth just disintegrated from poor fossilization or being exposed to acidic elements. Being non-fully developed replacement teeth is an interesting idea.

Being non-fully developed replacement teeth is an interesting idea.

Hello all,

maybe sharkteeth, found in a ''softer layer'' will need a longer time to get fossilized?

i attach two pictures,

you can see that the inside of the two teeth are starting to erode, is that because of the layer,

in where they were fossilized, was to 'soft'?

i mean, maybe some layers will fossilized faster than other layers.

is this idea possible?

regards,

Pangeaman

post-6646-0-15183300-1314490049_thumb.jpg

post-6646-0-77391600-1314490060_thumb.jpg

Edited by pangeaman