Need Help: Venice Beach Fossil Teeth

darthjlc

I need help identifying these teeth. Most are sharks, but I would like to know which kind. I have one ray or skate tooth and one really strange fossil that looks like a human tooth. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

GroupA.jpg

GroupB.jpg

GroupC.jpg

SoloA.jpg

SoloC.jpg

SoloB.jpg

SoloD.jpg

Just tossing out a few ID's before I turn in tonight.

J is not a human tooth. [Just throwing that out there, it's probably a broken-off section of a larger tooth]

L appears to be a sand tiger shark tooth, though it's damaged, making it hard to really identify, I'll be that it's Carcharias taurus.

M appears to be a Rhinoptera sp. [The species is almost impossible to identify on these, and from your picture I can hardly tell what it is..]

Try to get a better quality (better lighted, too) image, and possibly a picture of the side of your ray tooth, so that it can be compared with a cross section and better identified. It's probably Rhinoptera sp., but that would really be the best way to be sure.

Most of your fossils are also worn or damaged, making them hard or impossible to identify.

~Major

Edited by Major
Turok1copy.png

I agree that the mammal tooth is not human, but I think I found a matching tooth in the Peace RIver back in March.

I agree that L is Sand Tiger, similar to the one below, B,C,E are all likely Lemon shark teeth,

post-2220-0-45580200-1314284823_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-24911300-1314284831_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-88379800-1314284847_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-28534300-1314285053_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree that the mammal tooth is not human, but I think I found a matching tooth in the Peace RIver back in March.

I agree that L is Sand Tiger, similar to the one below, B,C,E are all likely Lemon shark teeth,

I agree that B probably is, but C and E could easily be bull or another Carcharhinus sp.

Though Lemons are rather common down here, so are they. It's just hard to really say.

~Major

Turok1copy.png

Lemon is almost certain for B, not so certain for C&E, I find a LOT of these and do not think they are Bull or Dusky (because I find tons of those also), but truefully I am unsure on what they are -- and will gratefully accept an ID.

M is an Eagle Ray pavement tooth...

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Lemon is almost certain for B, not so certain for C&E, I find a LOT of these and do not think they are Bull or Dusky (because I find tons of those also), but truefully I am unsure on what they are -- and will gratefully accept an ID.

M is an Eagle Ray pavement tooth...

I see what you're saying with M, when I first looked at it, I didn't realize how thin the actual plate was.

As for the other two teeth, I really don't know. It seems to be very difficult to discern between lower teeth of species of Carcharhinus sp. and teeth of Negaprion brevirostris.

Especially with this one picture :/

I'm newer at ID'ing shark teeth, so if you say they should be labeled Lemon, if I were him, I'd label them Lemon.

~Major

Turok1copy.png

SoloA.jpg

"M" appears to be a Eagle ray tooth, or a Cownose ray tooth. The rough side is the roots, the flat side is the top. "L" appears to be a mako tooth fragment. I keep trying to say that C and E are sharpnose shark teeth, but I'm not sure

Edited by Auspex

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

Thank you so much, I am new to shark and ray teeth and whenever I aquire a fossil I usually knew what it was right away. I am also new at identifying fossils I find my self. Thanks again.

"M" appears to be a Eagle ray tooth, or a Cownose ray tooth. The rough side is the roots, the flat side is the top. "L" appears to be a mako tooth fragment. I keep trying to say that C and E are sharpnose shark teeth, but I'm not sure

I think that you may be correct on Sharpnose for C & E.