Do You Like Megs?

FossilMick

Ok, This is by far the best fossil hunt video I have seen so far.... I don't know the exact local but I hope to find out. Here it is..... go get a mop 1st... drool can be messy.

Makes it look easy! Just like picking strawberries.

post-423-1216783251.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Ok, This is by far the best fossil hunt video I have seen so far.... I don't know the exact local but I hope to find out. Here it is..... go get a mop 1st... drool can be messy.

yea that was a really nice one!!!

yea that was a really nice one!!!

Hey bmore, just think what could be sitting just offshore @ Calvert...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest N.AL.hunter

I just got permission to take a vacation in October, so Venice Beach here I come!! Will be using a Super Snorkel to hunt for the teeth. Don't expect to be as successful as the guy in the video, but I can always dream!! I will have one full day to "dive". If anyone in the area wants to join me or be kind enough to give me a few pointers, I'd be honored to have you there. Trip will be in early October, and will most likely be at Venice Beach late on Thursday the 9th, dive all day 10th.

Cris and i should be certified by then and have some gear so we may just come and join you :D

Cris and i should be certified by then and have some gear so we may just come and join you :D

Should be a piece of cake; you're already certifiable :P

Guest N.AL.hunter

That would be cool! I will have my details soon. We will be at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground first, then to Venice, then to Tallahassee to see my brother. Might even sneak some time searching the beach that Thursday evening, but will need rest to dive all day on Thursday. For anyone wondering, I can stay down as long as needed, just have to refill gas tank on compressor every 2.5 to 3 hours.

...I can stay down as long as needed, just have to refill gas tank on compressor every 2.5 to 3 hours.

That's neat! In the video, it looked like the diver had something to "blow" the silt around; what will you use?

Guest N.AL.hunter

I read on a scuba forum that you just need to wave your hand to blow the sand away. I might use a swimmer's paddle though, or even a stiff ping-pong paddle.

I have seen people use underwater scooters. You turn them around and use the fan to move the sand around.

That is quite a video - how did you find it?

Now the next time you read about those RARE megalodon teeth on ebay.............................. :D:D

I have seen people use underwater scooters. You turn them around and use the fan to move the sand around.

Pretty sure that's what he was using. I've tried the ping pong paddle thing....Your hand works way better.

Pretty sure that's what he was using. I've tried the ping pong paddle thing....Your hand works way better.

that was sick

what are the chances some of those finds in the same spots are associated?

...what are the chances some of those finds in the same spots are associated?

I imagine it's pretty low; out-of-matrix & reworked...

Fun to speculate, though!

• 4 months later...

The location in the video is more than three miles off shore, east coast. In the video the diver is using a DPV to blow the sand away. This trip is far enough off shore so it is not covered under state law. In most states the use of any device to move sand is illegal. In fact, I believe all rivers in the SE states it is illegal to use any mechanical device, hand fan only. The video camera was attached to the DPV. You do not have to use a DPV, but it is fast

These dives are deep, usually over 100'. Most Divers use Nitrox and there is the possibility (probability) for decompression stops.

well, wow. i want to see everything from back when! the more i study fossils, the more i want to go back in time and see the real animals. good grief. land and seas teeming with life. everything different. how unbelievably cool.

The only thing missing from this video was darth vader in the backgourd saying "all to easy". Such a shame that most of the teeth appear heavily worn. Anyone know if nice serrated teeth come from here

The only thing missing from this video was darth vader in the backgourd saying "all to easy". Such a shame that most of the teeth appear heavily worn. Anyone know if nice serrated teeth come from here

Yes, there are some very nice serrated teeth that come from this area. Since this is salt water most of the teeth have barnacles or some type of marine "junk" covering them. This must be cleaned off to see the real quality of the tooth. We are seeing the diver collect these teeth on a single deep dive, before he cleans them up. There are other locations that produce the really perfect "museum quality" teeth, but they usually do not produce this high number of large teeth.

Makes it look easy! Just like picking strawberries.

Now that's funny!

:rofl:

He missed that Squatina subserra tooth!

Kevin Wilson

He missed that Squatina subserra tooth!

I think that, under those circumstances, I'd get Meg-vision too!