Coral Fossil

FoamieOmie

Wondering about this fossil. I found in a dry creek bed here in Ky. Can tell it's fossilized coral and a friend said he thought it was Red Horn? coral. I don't know much about it other than it has loads of fosils on it. It is wet due to being pulled from a cooler I had it in to try and get dirt off. It is approximately 9" x 6" x 4". Does it have any value? Willing to sell if it does, if not it's going in my fresh water fish tank.

Photo0699.jpg

Photo0701.jpg

Photo0705.jpg

Photo0708.jpg

Photo0709.jpg

Photo0712.jpg

Hexagonaria, or a similar coral. It will look good in your aquarium.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are you near Louisville? The folks over at the Falls of the Ohio Museum could ID it most likely. And it is not likely rare but it will definitely make an excellent aquarium piece. It's a nice specimen for a fossil collection as well. FYI, KY has geological maps on line so you can probably look up your location and get an idea of what age of rock it is from.

For that kind of preservation and it being found within the Louisville area I'd say it's from the Silurain aged Louisville limestone or the Devonian aged Jeffersonville limestone. As the latter rests unconformably on top of the former it may not be clear which formation until a species is determined. My gut feeling is Hexagonaria which would place it within the Devonian Jeffersonville ls.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I think it is Lithostrotionella

Middle Mississippian, a very common colony coral in this interval