An Unusual Shark Tooth

Shellseeker

I thought I knew what this was... but a friend said pathological Sand tiger, and now I am not sure.. Will see what the experts think.

post-2220-0-54790000-1314285404_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-46927700-1314285414_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-23656100-1314285429_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-73406300-1314285439_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I thought I knew what this was... but a friend said pathological Sand tiger, and now I am not sure.. Will see what the experts think.

Upper cow shark Notorhynchus primigenius tooth. Not very common from FL at all. I've got some from another site in Florida but they aren't exactly common there either. No way is that a sand tiger anything.

Thanks to both replies!! I wanted it to be cow shark, just because it is the ONLY cow shark tooth I have.

Some friends have found an occasional lower tooth in the Peace River , but they are scarcer than hen's teeth down here. I have added a photo of this one to my Gallery., because I found other uppers in TFF Galleries to compare.

CowSharkLink

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Good job SS, first upper I have seen from the Peace. :goodjob:

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Good job SS, first upper I have seen from the Peace. :goodjob:

Thanks, I have fossil buddies who only use 1/2 inch screen, because they are not interested in small stuff. You can go a lot faster if you are only looking for fossils 1.5 inches and above.

It is the robust root that grabs my eye, and in this case, a cusp. It takes a while , but with help form the forum, I usually identify the oddballs.

Thanks, I have fossil buddies who only use 1/2 inch screen, because they are not interested in small stuff. You can go a lot faster if you are only looking for fossils 1.5 inches and above.

It is the robust root that grabs my eye, and in this case, a cusp. It takes a while , but with help form the forum, I usually identify the oddballs.

I'm one of those. I gave up on the 1/4" awhile back.

I'm one of those. I gave up on the 1/4" awhile back.

Actually , I am schizophrenic, carrying BOTH a 1/4 and 1/2 inch sieve. When I am finding bigger fossils, I can switch to the 1/2 inch to maximize the number I find. Most of the time the 1.2 sits idle.

Actually , I am schizophrenic, carrying BOTH a 1/4 and 1/2 inch sieve. When I am finding bigger fossils, I can switch to the 1/2 inch to maximize the number I find. Most of the time the 1.2 sits idle.

That would be me as well.

Plus, I place my smaller sieved material in a couple of 5-Gallon buckets to take back home with me and look through.

~Major

Turok1copy.png

I've traded my 1/4 for a combo 1/2 on top of a 1/4.

Seems to be more exhaustive and tedious work, but I'll probably stick with it. Nice find SS!

Archived