Tree Fossil Id?

Joe

Hello,

I found this fossil that I think is a tree. It was found in Clinton County, PA, just outside of Renovo. I don't really know my formations but this was at an elevation of around 1100', in the Appalachian plateau. This was found in the middle of a stream bed (in the stream) so it could have been move quite a distance during spring melts. Seems to be made of sandstone (not good with my stone types either).

Sorry for the lack of good information I like fossils , but I don't spend much time looking for them.

Thank you for any help.

Joe Conklin

fossil7909.jpg

fossil7911.jpg

fossil7913.jpg

Joe,

Looks like some kind of Lepidodendron - Hopefully some of our plant experts will be along soon with a firm ID.

Very cool find!

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice find , lovely detail :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Hi Joe, very cool specimen! Yep that's one of the Lepidodendrons with the diamond shaped patterns--each diamond is

where one of its leaves used to be attached. The long ribbon/smooth straplike shaped impression next to the

Lepidodendron is probably something else. Can't see any fine details if there are any, but it could be one

of the leaves of one of the other early trees...maybe Cordaites....

The rock sides/shape looks fairly angular and the leaf attachment details look pretty sharp and don't look very badly

worn down at all for being found in a stream (which tend to wear down and smooth/round everything) so you might

be very well near its source.

Nice Find! Thanks for sharing! Regards, Chris

Thank you everybody.

Look like maybe I need to go back down into the gorge again. I was there for photography so I had 40lbs of camera gear, the extra 20lbs of this rock made it a long climb back out.

Thanks again.

Joe