Whats It?

fossil dude

009.JPG i found this old baby in a pennsylvanian era formation in s/e oklahoma, it's 9 in. long and 7 in. wide, it has two projections, one on each side, it appears it used these projections to move itself on the bottom of the sea, i would send more photos but they are all to large, any info would be appreciated! thanks, this is my first upload, i hope it is right,if anyone sees this would they please let me know, thanks

Yep we see it loud and clear! I unfortunately don't have any clue what this is, but it sure looks like a horseshoe crab! lol. I personally have never seen anything like it.

Hi fossil dude :D

My primary focus for many years has been researching one

specific fossiliferous Pennsylvanian locality near St. Louis, MO

The reason you can't upload multiple pictures is because there

is a 2MB limit on each post/reply. Your camera takes very good

high quality 2595wide x 1944high 1.89MG images.

If you would re-size images to lets say no larger than 1000

wide then save you will find that the file size of the image

would be greatly reduced allowing the posting of multiple

pictures. Of course, save the re-sized images using a different

name not to overwrite the original.

In order to anaylze the picture you posted...I re-sized and

and tweaked a little. The images below are 1000 wide

and the file sizes are only 151KB and 129KB

post-6417-0-79172000-1314525355_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-88871100-1314525367_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a marine Pennsylvanian creature with this

appearance. Was this specimen collected in an area where you

are finding marine fossils or plant fossils? Or possibly both? :unsure:

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I really can't ID the specimen but can venture a guess

You mentioned there is another leg-shape on the other side.

I'm not saying it's not fossilized but what I see

reminds me of a mud ball with a root running through it.

Hopefully there are members which have seen similar shapes

and can positively ID your specimen :unsure:

MAPS Fossil Show

Looks like a coiled cephalopod which has some holdfast attached after it was lying ion the ocean floor

Cephalopods rule!!

Looks like a coiled cephalopod which has some holdfast attached

after it was lying ion the ocean floor

KUDOS..."fossisle" :D

This specimen now makes perfect sense...

The outer crushed rim does have appearance pointing to

cephalopod...I noticed that but the "root like" inclusion

scrambled my mind and discounted it.

If the outer rim (viewed straight on) is flat then the ceph

could very well be Domatoceras sp. B)

Now the focus is on the fascinating "holdfast" :unsure:

Barry

Edited by Indy

MAPS Fossil Show

009.JPG i found this old baby in a pennsylvanian era formation in s/e oklahoma, it's 9 in. long and 7 in. wide, it has two projections, one on each side, it appears it used these projections to move itself on the bottom of the sea, i would send more photos but they are all to large, any info would be appreciated! thanks, this is my first upload, i hope it is right,if anyone sees this would they please let me know, thanks

i have been excavating this site for many years, i have nine of these fossils, this one being the most complete, i have searched for it everywhere its identifcation still eludes me, they all have the horn like appendeges, the area where i found them is all marine, all carboniferous era, some fossils found in conjunction are: spirifer,metacoceras,platyceras, strobeus, subulites, pseudozygoplura, streptocis,bactrites, cymatospira, michelinoceras, griffithides, myolina, lima, promytilus, orthonota, polypora, fenestilla, petalotus teeth and at least 50 others, very prolific site, upon close examination it is quite apparent this fossil was a bottom dweller and used it's appendages for locomotion, it's carapice is about 1/8 in thick , 9 in long 7 in wide, this is not a mud ball ! and the appendage is attached and part of this fossil, not something that attached it's self later, i thank you all that had input, i appreciate it, God bless!

Weird items. Finding several means they're something.

Could you show pictures from several angles, please?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Did you mean to say that it's 1/8 inch thick?

I ask because it looks much thicker, if it is 7" X 9" in the other two dimensions...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi fossil dude :D

My primary focus for many years has been researching one

specific fossiliferous Pennsylvanian locality near St. Louis, MO

The reason you can't upload multiple pictures is because there

is a 2MB limit on each post/reply. Your camera takes very good

high quality 2595wide x 1944high 1.89MG images.

If you would re-size images to lets say no larger than 1000

wide then save you will find that the file size of the image

would be greatly reduced allowing the posting of multiple

pictures. Of course, save the re-sized images using a different

name not to overwrite the original.

In order to anaylze the picture you posted...I re-sized and

and tweaked a little. The images below are 1000 wide

and the file sizes are only 151KB and 129KB

post-6417-0-79172000-1314525355_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-88871100-1314525367_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a marine Pennsylvanian creature with this

appearance. Was this specimen collected in an area where you

are finding marine fossils or plant fossils? Or possibly both? :unsure:

Barry

post-6671-0-33009400-1314559225_thumb.jpg

post-6671-0-01784700-1314559228_thumb.jpg

post-6671-0-78373600-1314559230_thumb.jpg

Did you mean to say that it's 1/8 inch thick?

I ask because it looks much thicker, if it is 7" X 9" in the other two dimensions...

no the shell tickness is 1/8 in thick the creature itself is globular, the under side is crushed but you can see where the other appendage is and it's now pointing up but if if inflate it to original shape it points down as the other one does

the under side is crushed , the horn is pointed up but if you inflate it to it's original shape it would point down the same as the other one

It is bizarre! Completely beyond my knowledge, and my imagination.

The "appendage(s)" don't seem to be segmented; do they appear to articulate at their base?

really is a very rare fossil. looks like a fishbone, or a armor

header2.jpg

http://MinerFossil.Jimdo.com

th_facebook.jpg

post-6671-0-59773500-1314560065_thumb.jpgpost-6671-0-54346200-1314560062_thumb.jpgrepost of whats it?post-6671-0-60211800-1314560058_thumb.jpg

couldn't figure out how to get the new phots to the right place, the obverse side of this fossil is crushed and the horn stub is pointing the wrong direction but if you were to pull it back out to original shape they both would point down, it's obvious the animal used its appendages for self locomotion, in its original shape it is globose, and the mouth would be about 5in x 4in, the pointed part is the top, the horn points down, i can tell you this is the rarest fossil i have ever found and i have some rare ones! no brag just facts, i have collected this site for over 30 years and have found over 80 genera there, i would love to know what this fossils genera is!

It is bizarre! Completely beyond my knowledge, and my imagination.

The "appendage(s)" don't seem to be segmented; do they appear to articulate at their base?

the bony part that holds the appendage to the body has what appears to be small teeth that would let the appendage move, i believe it moved very slowly and a small distance at a time.

couldn't figure out how to get the new phots to the right place, the obverse side of this fossil is crushed and the horn stub is pointing the wrong direction but if you were to pull it back out to original shape they both would point down, it's obvious the animal used its appendages for self locomotion, in its original shape it is globose, and the mouth would be about 5in x 4in, the pointed part is the top, the horn points down, i can tell you this is the rarest fossil i have ever found and i have some rare ones! no brag just facts, i have collected this site for over 30 years and have found over 80 genera there, i would love to know what this fossils genera is!

Topics merged for continuity. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

the bony part that holds the appendage to the body has what appears to be small teeth that would let the appendage move, i believe it moved very slowly and a small distance at a time. also i believe it had a large fleshy foot kinda like an abalone!