Whats It?

fossil dude

here is a pic of part of the appendage, you can see it is rolled, with a hollow core.

I took the liberty of lightening the image:

post-423-0-47708600-1314563946_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you, for bringing this puzzle to our Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you, for bringing this puzzle to our Forum!

i could send more pics, do you think more is needed?

Appears to be a bizarre rhizome or tuber. Also worth considering some type of pathological growth or plant cancer (tumor). Sure is strange but my vote is definitely botanical.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

i could send more pics, do you think more is needed?

You had mentioned other specimens; are pictures available of them, for comparison?

Appears to be a bizarre rhizome or tuber. Also worth considering some type of pathological growth or plant cancer (tumor). Sure is strange but my vote is definitely botanical.

i don't think you have read all the posting i posted all fossils from this site are marine its easy and simple to see it is an animal, if it was a cancer it would be unique, i have nine of these albeit this one is the best condition

fossil dude

I know the original pictures are large causing problems

uploading more than 1 image on a post

Your reply #15 ....

The FIRST picture in the block of 3

the one that shows the reverse of the 1st picture you posted

Post the ORIGINAL Large picture...do not reduce the size

We can edit it to produce closeup views and upload to

this this thread

Barry

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

i don't think you have read all the posting i posted all fossils from this site are marine its easy and simple to see it is an animal, if it was a cancer it would be unique, i have nine of these albeit this one is the best condition

Even though we disagree I did read all of your posts. Actually cancerous plant growths would not necessarily be a unique occurrence assuming a large scale pathogenic event capable of affecting a widespread area. Looking forward to more information on your interesting specimen.

Thanks again for posting! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

It looks like you figured out how to post picturs and everything. I just got your email today on how to do it and was visiting the forum to give you step by step instructions and saw your posts.

Just to let everybody know; I have held this fossil in hand and it has a calcium carbonate shell that is about 1/8 inch thick - it just has part of the original 'mud' inside that may be throwing everybody off. You can see this on the 2nd picture as the shell is broke off at the edge and it goes to mudstone that was inside the specimen. It is crushed somewhat and the appendage looks to be solid with no segmentation. I have been telling fossil dude that I believe it may be part of the armor of a type of fish but I have no facts to back that up. I have found pieces of this specimen myself; wish I could find a complete perfect one! If you look closely at the picture that shows the appendage you can see where some small colonies of coral were beginning to form. A large part of the fossils found in this site are dark to almost black so it may throw some insites off. I did not see anything that would suggest 'eyes' on this unusual fossil. A couple of the types of Strobeus found there can reach 5-6" in length if not bigger. We have found several Petalodus shark teeth there also.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Well...Here we have a Pennsylvanian fossil Gold mine

A plant rich ideal environment would attract gastropods that could

easily grow large. A plant rich environment could also be the reason

why the fossils are dark in color. The sound of all those large

gastropods munching on plant material would ring the dinner bell

for the (crusher shark) Petalodus.

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

reminds me of a spined nautaloid (such as Cooperoceras from the Permian of Texas.) To speculate, perhaps its an earlier stage in its evolution? From the pics Im not seeing any joints in the "appendages" which could mean they're spines instead of legs.

Yep we see it loud and clear! I unfortunately don't have any clue what this is, but it sure looks like a horseshoe crab! lol. I personally have never seen anything like it.

hey i like you florida fossils, thanks! man that is getting down to business!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though we disagree I did read all of your posts. Actually cancerous plant growths would not necessarily be a unique occurrence assuming a large scale pathogenic event capable of affecting a widespread area. Looking forward to more information on your interesting specimen.

Thanks again for posting! :)

thank you piranha! for even hazarding a guess , but we have to get down to business and find it's genera or even it's species, God bless

Well...Here we have a Pennsylvanian fossil Gold mine

A plant rich ideal environment would attract gastropods that could

easily grow large. A plant rich environment could also be the reason

why the fossils are dark in color. The sound of all those large

gastropods munching on plant material would ring the dinner bell

for the (crusher shark) Petalodus.

Barry

i thank you have the right idea barry, i hope you and all the rest of my friends will continue to pursue the species and genera of this fantastic fossil, when i popped it out of its matrix my eyes like to have fell out, it was one of the happiest days of my life!maybee i'll post some good petalodus pics. to go with this(((((()))))))))) Edited by fossil dude

come on by tracer, we'll go fossil hunting, ahuh when it gets below 100 degrees!!!!!!!!!!yes i have been to the museum, thanks

Edited by fossil dude

come on by tracer, we'll go fossil hunting, ahuh when it gets below 100 degrees!!!!!!!!!!

um, it was a link. did you click it?

You had mentioned other specimens; are pictures available of them, for comparison?

yes i will take some tomorrow and upload them, hope to see you tomorrow, you youngans go to work, we'll see you tomorrow evening!!!!!!

these fotos may or may not be much help, they are single sided but if you look close you can see where the appendage was attached, these are the same fossil as the whats it, found at the same location.

post-6671-0-63572900-1314628053_thumb.jpg

post-6671-0-42143600-1314628056_thumb.jpg

post-6671-0-20205400-1314628059_thumb.jpg

Good; a larger sample-base to analyze!

Does this one seem to show segments, or maybe chambers?

post-423-0-97294400-1314629956_thumb.jpg

Good; a larger sample-base to analyze!

Does this one seem to show segments, or maybe chambers?

post-423-0-97294400-1314629956_thumb.jpg

no those are not segments, only a place where the original shell is missing, im going to try to upload a higher quality photo of the obverse of the original whats it, i think that will help!

going way out on a limb !! could it be an eurypterid species curled up with appendages missing ?

belive they existed from silurian to permian

anyway very very cool specimen Im green with envy !!!

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

post-6671-0-43007000-1314631134_thumb.jpg i think this will help it's a photo of the appendage area, if you look close you can see signs of teeth, on both sides! Edited by fossil dude