Show Us Your Showcases!

MB

Maple would be fine. I would just need to check out what the difference in price would be. Not familiar with river pine.

Most of our pieces are maple., But river pine (pine pulled from the bottom of rivers where it sank, is usually old growth, which makes for a nice heart pattern. Let me know about the maple. It could definitely be a combo of veneers and hard wood.

Most of our pieces are maple., But river pine (pine pulled from the bottom of rivers where it sank, is usually old growth, which makes for a nice heart pattern. Let me know about the maple. It could definitely be a combo of veneers and hard wood.

Hi Makoken,

I did a rough sketch of the new design that I will be coming out with.

I will probably be making a prototype in a couple of months.

The old style will still be available, but I suspect the new design will even be more popular.

Reminiscent of what you may have seen in a drug store 100 years ago.

It will be 1/4 curved glass on each side, with a double curved kind of bubble on the top (If I can get my glass benders to make that piece for a reasonable price)

Maple want be an issue.

Some people even order two that fit (attach) together, side by side, since you were talking about possibly ordering two.

Dimensions of the standard cabinet is 36" wide, two would be 72", and if you added the curved glass wings on both sides, it would come to a total of 95"s

because each wing will be 11 and 1/2" wide.

You would need to measure to be sure you have the room. I have included a pic of what that would look like.

Let me know what you think about the new design and any suggestions.

Thanks for your interest.

post-1026-1230399480_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230399509_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230399824_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230399885_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230399915_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230399937_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Here are some pictures of a few things in my lab, waiting for prep work.

post-1026-1230403459_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403481_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403507_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403530_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403553_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403577_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230403598_thumb.jpg

Hi Makoken,

I did a rough sketch of the new design that I will be coming out with.

I will probably be making a prototype in a couple of months.

The old style will still be available, but I suspect the new design will even be more popular.

Reminiscent of what you may have seen in a drug store 100 years ago.

It will be 1/4 curved glass on each side, with a double curved kind of bubble on the top (If I can get my glass benders to make that piece for a reasonable price)

Maple want be an issue.

Some people even order two that fit (attach) together, side by side, since you were talking about possibly ordering two.

Dimensions of the standard cabinet is 36" wide, two would be 72", and if you added the curved glass wings on both sides, it would come to a total of 95"s

because each wing will be 11 and 1/2" wide.

You would need to measure to be sure you have the room. I have included a pic of what that would look like.

Let me know what you think about the new design and any suggestions.

Thanks for your interest.

Those look really nice, I like the idea of the old style cabinet. We'll stay in touch, and I am definitely willing to wait to see the prototype .Thanks again

look at that items..

im not the jealous type, but wow

Thanks! I have about 100 jackets and crates of skulls and skeletons waiting to be prepped.

I keep thinking that the government is going to shut down collecting, even on private land like our digs.

I figure in my old age, I can spend my time rediscovering skeletons and skulls in the lab.

Enough to last a lifetime.

Guest bmorefossil

awsome bones, cant wait to see all the other fossils you have

Wow, fantastic collections! :drool:

Here's a quick view of some of mine. :P

Fish gang, mostly from Green River Formation

th_fishies1.png

And some more fishes mixed with a mosasaur and horse. x3

th_fishys2.jpg

Wow, fantastic collections! :drool:

Here's a quick view of some of mine. :P

Fish gang, mostly from Green River Formation

th_fishies1.png

And some more fishes mixed with a mosasaur and horse. x3

th_fishys2.jpg

Wow! Nice pieces. Lets go fishing. Thats just over the hill from me.

Where did the Mosasaur stuff come from?

Guest bmorefossil
Wow! Nice pieces. Lets go fishing. Thats just over the hill from me.

Where did the Mosasaur stuff come from?

you sure do have alot of fish, i like my fish as well but i just find parts of fish in maryland, the only time i found a fish it had no head )=

let me give you my windows, I think the presentation is often the refflet the personality of its owner, some prefer the aesthetics of the other scientific aspect, the important thing is to have fun and paleontology must remain a passion ...

post-967-1230453592_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453612_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453636_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453661_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453685_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453724_thumb.jpg

post-967-1230453746_thumb.jpg

ok here is a new set up, and my dog is in there for some reason lol

Where else would a dog be besides hanging around some old bones lol...

Yall have some nice collectons....Thanks for showing them off

I'm really digging that fossilized tortoise shell with the long nuchals. I've always wanted a complete fossilized testudine shell.

let me give you my windows, I think the presentation is often the refflet the personality of its owner, some prefer the aesthetics of the other scientific aspect, the important thing is to have fun and paleontology must remain a passion ...

Bruno, you have given aesthetics and scholorship equal status; an amazing collection :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

you have awsome lighting, i wish i had fossils and lighting like you

I'm really digging that fossilized tortoise shell with the long nuchals. I've always wanted a complete fossilized testudine shell.

That is actually only the second complete Tustudo I have found over the last 25 years in the Oligocene. Stylemys nebrascensis are so common, I have found hundreds over the years. Interestingly enough, both Tustudo's were perfect, needing no restoration, where the Stylemys often come out squished, incomplete or distorted, probably because of the softness or thickness of the shell. My other Tustudo has the bones and skull in it.

I have left as much matrix on it to protect the skull and bones.

Haven't prepped it as of yet. Heres some pics

post-1026-1230478699_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230478734_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230478767_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=21176:date=Jul 25 2008, 07:18 PM:name=Petrified)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petrified @ Jul 25 2008, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=21176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seeing all these displays makes me wish I started collecting fossils sooner. I only started collecting fossils last year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give yourself a break! There are folks on this board who have been collecting, continuously, for 40 years. Ask any of them what they had to show after their first year; you're doing great!

After a year of collecting fossils, everything I had fit in a cigar box (one of those fossil kits containing mostly Utah specimens, a few shark teeth bought at either Nature Company or Natural Wonders, an oreodont jaw section I bought at Natural Wonders, and a couple of other flea market purchases). Only after I started going to shows and doing my own digging over the next four years did my collection really start growing.

Adding to the compliments, there are some great displays shown here. Extra points would have to go to those who built their own cases or those who customized or repurposed other forms of furniture/cases ("pimped my Riker?").

I looked at a couple of pages of Geoforum and it had some great displays too (will have to go through all those pages sometime). The guy who used old TV's as cases and installed his own shelving inside deserves some kind of award.

Auspex, that's a great display especially when you consider that most bird specimens found are small bone ends. You have track plates, bones and feathers in matrix, and an amber piece to help catch the light. Good thinking. The Archaeopteryx cast is a cool backdrop too.

Yeah, amber can cloud up and crack at the wrong temperature, in the wrong lighting, and probably at the wrong humidity.

At a local gem&mineral show (Santa Clara County club) this past spring, many members display their collections in cases the club has been reusing for years. One really caught my eye. It was a collection of Green River fossils. It had no super-rare/expensive specimens - just a rather diverse, evenly-spaced, and clearly-labelled group of nicely-preserved plant and fish fossils on a tiered base. Two paleo-art panels on the back wall illustrated the landscape of the Early Eocene of southwestern Wyoming. Someone put a lot of thought into that and it rightfully won a prize.

Here is small part of my trilobite collection. I have now only one showcase. Bought from IKEA of course. :)

post-1446-12520089000367_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089109561_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089267102_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089389547_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089521853_thumb.jpg

post-1446-125200896478_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089782299_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520089907999_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12520090066469_thumb.jpg

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

• 2 years later...

Wow. Glad I found this old thread. Neat stuff to see for sure!

I know some of you who posted in this thread two or three years ago would probably have twice as many fossils to show now!

Daryl.