~15.5 - 16 Ma

Early Middle Miocene

Lower Roundmountain Silt

Kern County,

~9 miles NNE of Bakersfield, CA

IMG_0162.jpg.33f15fd00cff30392335e9dfa11ec640.jpg

Wow. Fantastic collection of STH Brambles

On 10/21/2017 at 1:30 PM, tiburon said:

Glad you guys like it too! Here are a couple more really cool STH planus teeth from my collection.

Blue planus.jpg

Yellow black planus.JPG

Stunning planus teeth! Just now going back to see what I missed in terms of postings.

This tooth could use some cleaning and I just have not had time .. it is however a slightly worn but massive Scapsnorhynchus tooth from an unusual location.

Scapanorhynchus sp.

~2.52" - 6.40cm

~90-80 Ma

Late Cretaceous - Turonian/Santonian

Straight Cliffs Sandstone

The Kaiparowits Plateau

Escalante Bench

Utah

IMG_0173.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, isurus90064 said:

This tooth could use some cleaning and I just have not had time .. it is however a slightly worn but massive Scapsnorhynchus tooth from an unusual location.

Scapanorhynchus sp.

~2.52" - 6.40cm

~90-80 Ma

Late Cretaceous - Turonian/Santonian

Straight Cliffs Sandstone

The Kaiparowits Plateau

Escalante Bench

Utah

IMG_0173.jpg

That is a monster Goblin tooth !! Very impressive 

Goblin Sharks are always a huge hit with the kids in our education programs and they are among my favorite shark teeth. In our personal collection, there are a few that are just a bit more special not because of rarity or formation or size but who we got them from and why we got them. 

Scapanorhynchus puercoensis

Point Lookout Formation 

Santonian

New Mexico

These two were given to us by Keith Wright who co-authored the paper describing the Selachians from this formation. We were looking for Scapanorhynchus teeth from those species with the S.lewisii type dentition and we were referred to Keith who graciously gave these to us. They have been in every shark program we’ve done. 

4A935C2A-EFA4-492E-B149-D7E847D611D9.jpeg

Scapanorhynchus texanus

Cretaceous mid-Maastrichtian

Pee Dee Formation 

North Carolina

Our largest Goblin at 1.5” and one that the kids have been loving. I love the black color. This was a gift from @Troodon to help us expand our Cretaceous sharks for our education programs. 

A3A4A489-AF7E-43EF-A8C9-F8569BB186F5.jpeg

Scapanorhynchus sp. 

Cretaceous

Mesaverde Formation 

Colorado

The believe this micro tooth is a Goblin symphyseal tooth. It was suggested on TFF and I found a publication that supported that. A favorite because I picked through micro matrix to find it and was pretty proud of myself lol

4EA98B3A-0C9A-4E25-8469-AEDDE8D08CDC.jpeg

@fossilsonwheels Hi fossilsonwheels, nice posts, love the NM teeth. Nice Scapa symphyseal find!!

The following paper describes a Scapanorhynchus texanus symphyseal from the Eutaw Formation in Mississippi on page 18 and figures it on page 19.

"Late cretaceous elasmobranchs from the Eutaw formation at Luxapalila creek, Lowndes county, Mississippi", David J. Cicimurri et al. 2013.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, isurus90064 said:

@fossilsonwheels Hi fossilsonwheels, nice posts, love the NM teeth. Nice Scapa symphyseal find!!

The following paper describes a Scapanorhynchus texanus symphyseal from the Eutaw Formation in Mississippi on page 18 and figures it on page 19.

"Late cretaceous elasmobranchs from the Eutaw formation at Luxapalila creek, Lowndes county, Mississippi", David J. Cicimurri et al. 2013.

I believe that is the paper I used !! Thank you. Goblins are one I am always looking for

On 10/18/2019 at 8:21 AM, fossilsonwheels said:

Wow. Fantastic collection of STH Brambles

Hi Kurt,

Those teeth aren't from the STH Bonebed.  They are from slightly older layer in the same formation.  You don't see a lot of Pecten Point teeth and they're not often mentioned even in the technical literature.  I haven't heard of anyone collecting the site recently (as in the last 30-40 years).  The teeth you do see occasionally on the market have tended to come from old collections - people who collected them in the 1960's-1970's.

While brambles are more commonly found at Pecten Point than in the STH Bonebed, I would not say they are common.  That's a nice sample.  I think I have just one or two from there.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Jess, technically the Sharktooth Hill flavor of the Roundmountain Silt is the "Upper Layer of the Roundmountain Silt", Pecten Point is lower and a few hundred thousand years older, give or take. It's also a very different depositional environment.

• I found this Informative 3

On 10/19/2019 at 1:32 PM, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

Those teeth aren't from the STH Bonebed.  They are from slightly older layer in the same formation.  You don't see a lot of Pecten Point teeth and they're not often mentioned even in the technical literature.  I haven't heard of anyone collecting the site recently (as in the last 30-40 years).  The teeth you do see occasionally on the market have tended to come from old collections - people who collected them in the 1960's-1970's.

While brambles are more commonly found at Pecten Point than in the STH Bonebed, I would not say they are common.  That's a nice sample.  I think I have just one or two from thee.

Jess

Thank you Jess. Excellent information as always !!

21 hours ago, isurus90064 said:

Thanks Jess, technically the Sharktooth Hill flavor of the Roundmountain Silt is the "Upper Layer of the Roundmountain Silt", Pecten Point is lower and a few hundred thousand years older, give or take. It's also a very different depositional environment.

This thread has really proven quite informative. Thank you for the additional information 

55 minutes ago, isurus90064 said:

Scapanorhynchus texanus

~84 Ma

Tombigbee Sand Member

Eutaw Formation

Upper Cretaceous

Barton's Bluff

Tombigbee River

West Point, Mississippi

IMG_0183.jpg.063dd662907b51b1f6ce2288bc61ba6f.jpgIMG_0185.jpg.64d19b7e9f9dc4f3ac8ca3b720175787.jpg

Gorgeous teeth. 

51 minutes ago, isurus90064 said:

Broken but big

Scapanorhynchus texanus

~84 Ma

Tombigbee Sand Member

Eutaw Formation

Upper Cretaceous

Barton's Bluff

Tombigbee River

West Point, Mississippi

IMG_0191.jpg.172f8b434432136283c6384d77414cdd.jpgIMG_0191.jpg.172f8b434432136283c6384d77414cdd.jpg

Incredible collection of Eutaw Goblins. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:53 AM, Coco said:

It would be nice if for each tooth presented in this post, it is specified the age of the fossil because not everyone is familiar with the formations ;)

Coco

Hi Coco,

In many cases the age is not known with river teeth of Georgia and South Carolina because the rivers cut into multiple layers of different ages with the range sometimes as wide as Late Oligocene to Pleistocene.  The Hawthorn Formation is a name often used though some geologists have said it's actually a group of formations so it's kind of a "catch-all name" (in English it can be called an "umbrella" term as well) sometimes.  With large megalodon teeth I think the age is likely Middle Miocene to Early Pliocene.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1